Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Yearling doe? or Button buck? >

Yearling doe? or Button buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Yearling doe? or Button buck?

Old 09-13-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Yearling doe? or Button buck?

I'm just wondering, how do y'all tell the difference? If you CANNOT see any buttons, what do you look at next? I've heard of a way but I want to know what others say, mainly to see if there is any truth to what I've been told.

Thanks in advance!

Edit---Since I'm about to leave work, I'll go ahead to tell what I've been told.

In the event that you cannot see buttons, look at the white ring around the eyes. It is wider and more defined on a buck, even young bucks. Does, do not have much of a ring.

Do these statements sound accurate?

I'll be back this weekend. Good Luck to all!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:00 PM

Default RE: Yearling doe? or Button buck?

BB's usually have shorter blockier heads. Does are more pointed. It's hard to be sure the first year though IMO.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got an idea................dont shoot the small ones!!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:07 PM

I'm not gonna shoot the small ones! The main reason for asking is because we had 3 (three) buttons killed on our lease last season because they were mistaken for does. I want to be able to give a little advice to our members if I can.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh then tell them not to shoot the small ones, if your practicing qdm, then they need to shoot the mature ones. But a button buck has a block head and he is usually the one leading the pack if the momma lets him, she will linger back and watch.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:40 PM

Okay, let me explain a little more. I am a member of a lease in East Texas. Around here, if you happen to accidentally see a deer, you talk about it for weeks. Last year, the fella running our lease allowed each member to take "a" doe. This guy doesn't have a clue of what "real" qdm is. The normal rule has been 2 bucks, 4pt or better, and NO DOES. Been that way for several years. The majority of the members were only seeing does (ratio is terrible). Most people were not getting anything, so he finally gave in to everyone's begging for a doe. Then, 3 members took buttons by mistake. One member did not even bring in his deer because he was probably scared he'd get kicked off the lease. We found it a couple days later just laying by the road. "Most", IMO, of the people on leases in E. TX just want a little venison, horns are just a bonus. Well I think, that what happened last year, has scared the guy and I doubt he'll let us try for does again. I'm just trying to find more clues for our members. They want to follow the rules but they also want some meat for the table.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:52 PM

I was actually going to post a response, but I'm not going to waste my time now.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I prefer to hunt where it just doesn't matter. There are way to many deer running around so shoot what you want.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be patient and wait for a mature doe. This will assure that you are harvesting a doe and not a button buck.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wasn't going to post a response but I can't help it. I find it amazing that people can't tell the difference between a first year fawn and 2nd year doe or for that matter, the difference between a buck and doe when the buck is missing his antlers. There is such an obvious difference between the 3. I will elaborate and say at least there is in PA...now TX with their smaller animals might be more of a challenge but I still find it shocking that one can't tell a fawn from a doe.....I will admit however it is difficult to tell a button from a doe fawn unless they are close and in bowseason, that's the name of the game and the buttons are usually pronounced...again in PA anyway....

And yes, I can tell the difference with my naked eye well beyond bow range...to me it's obvious but I guess I've seen a tremendous amount of deer. I can't tell you the last time I've ever shot a button buck....

Quick Reply: Yearling doe? or Button buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.