Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
To Bait or Not to Bait >

To Bait or Not to Bait

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To Bait or Not to Bait

Old 03-01-2002, 05:29 PM

Default To Bait or Not to Bait

I am a Wisconsin hunter and have been hunting for about 4 years, and started when I was 12. I was wondering, how many of you bait deer or do drives? My family has never liked to do it, it has always seemed like the easy way to do it. Everyone I know does it and I was wondering if anyone else felt it was just like CHEATING! I say if you want a real challenge everybody, try to hunt the original way, it may be harder, but twice as rewarding.

Let me know if you feel the same way or if you disagree
Old 03-01-2002, 06:10 PM

Default RE: To Bait or Not to Bait

I do not hunt over bait,mainly because here in Pa so far it is not legal.I don't object to it if it is legal in your hunting area.I respect which ever way a hunter may want to hunt or,which weapon he may choose if it is legal.I think too much is put on how one should hunt when the majority of the time it is how they either started on their own or, how they were brought up to hunt.I was taught from my father to drive deer along with my 2 brothers and son and nephews.We have become quite successful especially in harvesting bigger bucks this way.I do hunt alone in archery being the only archery hunter in my family,so I have hunted both ways.I think when we gun hunt and drive deer our hunting party stays together all day,takes turns sitting and driving and,we all split the deer up at the end of the season.So for me anyway I think which ever way you hunt if legal should be your choice and it should be respected by all as well as you should respect others in their way of hunting.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:10 PM

I do not hunt over bait,mainly because here in Pa so far it is not legal.I don't object to it if it is legal in your hunting area.I respect which ever way a hunter may want to hunt or,which weapon he may choose if it is legal.I think too much is put on how one should hunt when the majority of the time it is how they either started on their own or, how they were brought up to hunt.I was taught from my father to drive deer along with my 2 brothers and son and nephews.We have become quite successful especially in harvesting bigger bucks this way.I do hunt alone in archery being the only archery hunter in my family,so I have hunted both ways.I think when we gun hunt and drive deer our hunting party stays together all day,takes turns sitting and driving and,we all split the deer up at the end of the season.So for me anyway I think which ever way you hunt if legal should be your choice and it should be respected by all as well as you should respect others in their way of hunting.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:11 PM

Sorry for the double post my fault.
Old 03-01-2002, 07:03 PM

It is ok to bait just don't hunt over the bait. Drives--don't do em! Freaks out the woods with all that scent!
Old 03-01-2002, 08:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-01-2002, 08:14 PM

It is very much a tradition around here, but stand hunting is what I think the best and most enjoyable. Maybe only being a young hunter may have an affect on my outlook at it, but I'm just tired of everyone telling me about the monster buck that they got the night before, and when I ask how they got it, they say that there was about 12 of them just standing on the bait pile, how much of a challenge is that. What a joke.

Also, I never want to sound like the idiots everywhere around here hooting and hollering trying to drive the deer. I'd rather not get a deer than have to throw away my dignity looking and sounding so stupid.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:25 PM

in Fla it is legal,so I do run feeders 5 for my slef and my hunting buddys have 7. last year I filled my feeders with a little over 2 tons of feed.I think this helps my heard.
so I will feed and hunt my feeders as long as it is legal.
we have saw a big increase in size and number of deer on our property since we started.
I am convenced it helps.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-01-2002, 10:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm surrounded by corn and soybeans. The woods are full of acorns. Early on they really don't come to a bait. It's my feeling that if you bait late in the year they may come, but a couple encounters and they stay away until after dark. Besides that, if they know that once they get to that spot there's gobs and gobs of food laying around. They don't have to get out of their beds and scratch for a living like the rest of the world. They wait for the night shift and go eat.

Quick Reply: To Bait or Not to Bait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.