Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Questions

Old 09-18-2004, 09:31 PM

Default RE: Bow Questions

I would check ebay or your local pro and pawn shops
Old 09-19-2004, 08:44 AM

I gun hunt as well, I just love archery is all. Not just hunting, I just love shooting my bow. The hardest part about bowhunting for me is sitting in the tree looking at my bow hanging there and thinking I could be at home shooting it instead.

And most gun clubs also do archery as well, so it's not that big of a deal for a gun club to have an archery shoot. Ours has an indoor gun range, indoor archery range, outdoor archery range, outdoor rifle range, outdoor skeet range and they do 3-D archery.

The reason you may not have been getting a lot of responses is because buying a bow second hand or sight unseen is sort of risky. With a bow it is very important that it fits you properly. You should really shoot or at least draw the bow before you buy it. Getting a bow from a good shop is always a plus, even if it costs you a few extra bucks. The support is well worth it in the end. And most shops sell used bows on consignment or something. You don't have to get a brand new 700 dollar bow to shoot well or hunt. And the shop should make sure that the bow you get, used or new will fit you the way it should and help you get it set up the correct way. They may even give you pointers on your form and the such. You will not get that off from Ebay, take my word for it. And God forbid you have a problem with it.

You can get some very good new bows as well for under $400 if you look around. Look at Hoyt, Parker, and PSE. Browning bows are good as well, just not as popular. There are a ton of bow manufacturers right now, and none of them really make junk. Some offer different qualities than others, but they are all built well and will shoot good. You just have to decide what you want and what feels and looks good to you.

Paul
Old 09-19-2004, 01:01 PM

Go to any pro-shop and just see what they offer. Most have set-ups for less than $300. I bought my first one (a PSE F2) set up to shoot for $279 just 6 or 7 years ago. I killed 5 deer with that bow the first year. Even now, the lower range PSE bows are pretty cheap brand new and they come with a factory warrentee too. The shop can get you measured for draw length and get you started. The advice you get from them is worth the few extra bucks you might spend in their shop.