Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Not trying to stir controversy ..but.. >

Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

Old 09-16-2004, 12:57 PM

Default RE: Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

ORIGINAL: TURKEY FAN

Why kill it if your not going to grill it!?? You can say i do this i do that but what do u do when you cant give anymore away? If u kill it you should eat it! [:@]
Every human alive is guilty of killing animals. Whether its face to face like a hunter, or behind a city wall and flipping on a light switch, or getting behind the wheel of your car and zipping down the road burning fossil fuels. We have many justifications for killing animals. They don't just need to be for 'eating' only. We kill for wildlife management, vermin/pest control and for grocery shopping. They are all equal justifications for killing animals. Sometimes we can cover a couple justifications at the same time, such as killing pest deer on permit and giving meat to the needy etc. although not necessary, it is nice of people to make the effort not to be wasteful. Killing animals is as natural as the day is long, every animal does it, and we are just another animal.

The over ethical among us somehow were educated differently? I don't get it personally but thats how it goes. I'll kill hundreds of ground squirrels for infested ranch operations and every single one of them will be gone by next day, ravens, crows, magpies, hawks, eagles and the rest get cleaned up by coyotes and badgers overnight. Not even a blood stain will remain. Its nice they don't go to waste in that instance, but so what if they did...pest control. Just how things are....that is what humans are. The city you live and the roads you drive down, the lights you turn on(including your computer) kill animals you don't eat every single day. I see no difference in one justification over another.

And i don't see why people can not enjoy it either. All the other animals do too. And even the greenies driving their honda civics or typing away on their computers etc. enjoy killing animals too. You see them smiling and having a good time....they just don't realize they have about the same impact on the environment as those of us who can still kill them face to face, the more natural way. They are simply ignorant of what it means to be a human being is all. But make no mistake, if they enjoy life as a human, then they enjoy killing animals....its what we do.

B
Old 09-16-2004, 01:09 PM

I agree with Jeramy If I get a rack its a bonus. I process my own deer, most of it gets ground. The meat in the freezer really helps me justify all the money I spend hunting to the wife. With a family of four we spend plenty at the supermarket so every little bit helps. The other thing venison is pure,all the store bought beef, pork, and chicken is so full of hormones and steroids it sickening. I drive a 18 wheeler for a living and have seen the conditions at stockyards and slaughterhouses. I ll eat the venison I kill and butcher myself.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:26 PM

I agree with the others regarding how critical the butchering and care of the meat is. Also, if you're trophy hunting, don't expect that old buck to taste nearly as good as a younger animal. I don't care for venison that has a gamey taste, but there are some excellent marinade recipes for venison that help alot in tenderizing the meat and eliminating the gamey taste. My wife cooks deer roast or steaks after marinating them overnight. The meat comes out delicious, juicy and tender. It's every good as a good beef pot roast. I don't have the exact recipe, but I know it contains some red wine, worchesteshire sauce, garlic, onions and I don't know what else. Yum Yum.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The other thing venison is pure,all the store bought beef, pork, and chicken is so full of hormones and steroids it sickening. I drive a 18 wheeler for a living and have seen the conditions at stockyards and slaughterhouses.
I guess my situation is not the norm. I buy beef by the side from my farmer friend. I see them alive and could pick the individual animal, if I wanted to. He feeds them a corn/hay/grain diet, no hormones. I have been doing this since my kids were born. I don't want my kids raised on the crap beef they sell in the store. As a matter of fact, after eating farm fresh beef, the store stuff smells and tastes like liver to me now. My own special circumstances, that's all.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:46 PM

I do not do this, but if at some point the animal is eaten by something then it is not waste. If you kill it, it will get eaten by something else. Every single part of it. From the bacteria to the coyote's, it gets eaten. There really is no waste.

That being said, I believe in bringing home what I harvest and eating it. It has been said many times on this board, "it is not the kill, but rather the quest to maket the kill that I enjoy".
Old 09-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't care to eat deer anymore. I just don't have the time to deal with it. However, if you want to improove your meat quality start baiting with corn. Steers before going to slaughter get feed corn to sweeten and fatten up the animal. Before that, they just graze in the fields.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:07 PM

On second thought, I think I'll just keep my mouth shut this time...
Old 09-16-2004, 03:21 PM

I usally will keep a few backstraps,couple of roasts,and some steaks,the rest I give to my employees and the soup kitchens.Of course,the landowners allways get a professionally processed deer (or two) at no charge for allowing me to hunt...Bob
Old 09-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in MD, we can take a whole lotta deer legally. My family eats deer meat in various forms about 4 - 5 days per week and we go through 5 or more deer each year. However, I have been asked by some farmers to take as many does as I can off their properties and I have the crop damage permits to allow it PLUS plenty of tags that come with my license. The problem is, we can't eat that much deer! I have been actively attempting to contact people in advance who will agree to take a deer so that I know it is being used. If I don't have the space in my freezer, or someone to take the deer, I won't take the shot. I'm sitting out the second day right now since I know I don't have anyone to take a deer and I don't have the time available to process one.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Places I hunt are badly in need of herd thinning.
Hmmm... western PA... I know it's hard to find people willing to donate their time to a good cause, but I'll help you for free. It's the least a fellow PA bowhunter can do. [8D]

Quick Reply: Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.