Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 5th Annual "Take Quality Pictures!....Ones to be proud of" >

5th Annual "Take Quality Pictures!....Ones to be proud of"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5th Annual "Take Quality Pictures!....Ones to be proud of"

Old 09-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 5th Annual "Take Quality Pictures!....Ones to be proud of"

Ok, it’s about time to bring it back yet again!

5th annual “Take Pictures to be Proud of!” thread.

The next installment of our “Classic” yearly threads in anticipation of another terrific and successful season! I also thought this would be especially relevant for 2004/2005 given the 1st Annual Huntingnet Bowhunting Deer Contest and all the wonderful animals that will be shown off this year!

You have that animal you worked so hard for, dreamt of all offseason…….it may very well be an animal of a lifetime in your hands! What you do next will decide how well that memory will be replayed and preserved for years to come.

You’ve all seen them………and if you don’t hate them I’d be shocked. You know what I’m talking about: Tongue hanging out, laying lifeless in the back of a pick-up truck……..or the absolute most horrible of them all,(insert Psycho shower scene music here) hanging by its neck from the garage rafters!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!!
What are you doing![:-][][:'(]
A little fore thought, a small amount of time and some creativity will help you to take pictures that you will be proud to show anyone, ones that will do the moment justice and ABOVE ALL ELSE honor the spirit of the animal you just harvested.

I won’t call these the “Be all End All” guidelines for how to take pictures (I’m NOT a professional photographer by any means) but you can rest assured that if you eliminate most of the things you SHOULDN’T do ,chances are you will be much happier when you get that film back from 1hr photo (cause’ ya know none of us can wait days for developing!)

1.Ok, I know and understand that we’re not all John D. Rockafeller……..good cameras are expensive plain and simple. You can get as crazy as you want with expensive telephoto/digital high resolution etc. etc., or if you're a little strapped cause' you sprung for those A/C/C arrows this season, you can get by with some simple and inexpensive disposable options. The main thing to remember is this……The best pictures are those taken on the spot, in the woods and fields where the animal lived and died. They not only add needed scenery to a picture but they also help to tell the story as well.
Several factors will determine if this in the field photography can or will happen…….if you have a buddy to help take the pictures you can at minimum keep a decent disposable camera in your day pack. Very little added weight or space taken.
Obviously if you are by yourself you’ll need a “REAL” camera with an automatic shutter feature.
In any event do your best to have a camera (with a flash) handy. Be it $10 or $1000, You can’t take a picture without SOMETHING!

2. Don’t be afraid to take a BUNCH of pictures…….usually you’ll know if you’ve
taken enough when your hunting buddy starts to complain or starts calling you “Miss America” . Whatever you do absolutely positively DON’T stop after one or 2 pictures…….blow an entire roll or 2 if you have to . I have seen too many instances where 24 pictures are taken and maybe 1 or 2 come out truly good.

3. Posing the animal is sort of an art form in itself…….you want the animal to look tasteful, and quite frankly, alive. Try to avoid the “Overhead” airplane shots. Have your buddy get down eye level, get close get far , straight on, quartering, hunter sitting, hold it this way, that way………basically be creative. Check out the poses in the hunting magazines. Find one you really like, remember it and try to duplicate it with your own animal.

4. Compose the picture…..think about what is behind the shot and how it will play into the picture. If there is a nice bit of early morning sun hitting the forest floor only a few feet away, by all means get the animal into it. If there is a particularly nice tree etc get it in the picture. Remove all foreign debris like twigs, weeds etc from sticking up in front of the shot. Nothing worse than getting the pictures back and the camera focused on and flashed out a big fat weed a foot from the lens!

5. Take the pictures BEFORE the animal is dressed! It will look fuller, and more alive. Speaking of alive, sounds extreme, but you might want to invest in a set of taxidermist eyes. It doesn’t take long for a dead deer (or whatever) to get a “Dead” eye. You can easily slip these fake eyes into place and not only will you have nice lifelike eyes, but no “Eye Shine” from the flash.

6. Wipe off all blood, stick the tongue back in and for God’s Sake if the arrow is still in the animal REMOVE IT. I know some of you are thinking……” I’m not going to worry about what other people think” Well frankly you should. Being able to proudly show a non-hunter a tastefully done picture showing how proud you are of that animal…….honoring the animal will go a lot farther than a bloody deer hanging from its neck I can guarantee you that! A little Windex or water sprayed around the mouth and wiped clean will make a much better and professional looking picture.

7. SMILE!!!!! Guess what? You are having a good time, you’re not getting your picture taken for “Soldier of Fortune” magazine.

8. Get the Hat out of your eyes……yeah we want to see you to.(Some of you anyway[:'(])

9. Make sure that you get the bow in the picture. Again helps to tell the story.

10. Put something solid under the deer’s chest cavity to prop it up a bit…….will give a much fuller looking animal. When an animal is lying down you don’t realize it but it is on a very near parallel angle to the ground. Bringing the chest up and out a bit will do wonders. Also try tucking the legs into a “Bedded” position under the animal. Looks very lifelike.

11. Smooth back any funky hair…….slick it back with your hand.

12.Use your flash to fill shadows. Even if you think its light enough.

13. Get close…….many many many times I’ve seen people THINK that they are going to get what they see in that viewfinder and they wind up with a picture that looks much farther away. Don’t be afraid to take some shots from what you think is “Too Close”

14. Digital Cameras are GREAT…….and as technology gets better and better you are starting to see prices on very good ones come down considerably. Nothing like the instant gratification and feedback of a digital. You don’t like a shot, simply erase it and try again. If you go this route, remember to save the pictures to a DISC! You lose your computer, you lose your memories.

15. The animal is NOT a carnival ride so don’t even dream of sitting on it’s back! [:@]This even looks tacky for the truly big animals like Elk and Moose.

16. Don’t pull a “Bill Dance” and stretch your arms out to the camera to make your 13” 8pt look like the “Jordan Buck”! Nobody is buying it and we want to see the true animal! Be proud of what it is.

17. Pick-up beds are a big pet peeve of mine……..especially since most of the time it involves just the animal looking VERY dead, or since there is no room you wind up with “Joe Hunter” riding bareback. YUCK!!!! I find no excuse for this one except a lack of really caring or laziness. If you can’t get the animal’s picture taken in the woods for whatever reason, that’s understandable. Drive to a Park or a friend’s house with some trees…... Just make it somewhere in a natural setting, remember the above tips and do your best to make it look lifelike! ( NO the garage floor next to the can of Kerosene and your spare tire doesn’t count as a natural setting!)

18. Get your hunting partner in the picture! He’s your buddy……..(your now jealous buddy![>:]), but I guess still your buddy nonetheless, and when the 2 of you relive the hunt though the pictures they will mean much more to you.
Don't forget the spouse or kids for some shots too.

19. Remember EVERY animal is a trophy....doe, young buck or new world record, every animal deserves a good picture.

20. Pass it down……..sorry to remind everyone, but we are all going to pass onto the big hunting ground in the sky someday. Leave something behind for your kids to show your love of the sport in a way they will be proud of! Is there anything better than to imagine your grandkids sitting around a fireplace paging thru “Grandpas” old hunting album and remembering the hunts and the man behind them. Everybody now……….Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That should do it, if anyone is still awake!
I know this isn’t the “Bible” of how hunting pics should be taken…..it’s not meant to be. I don’t know many of the technical aspects of photography, so what I have listed here I have figured out through trial and error, common sense and personal aesthetics, but I GUARANTEE that if you follow even a few of them your pictures and memories of a cherished moment in your life will improve for the better.
I CHALLENGE everyone to take the best pictures that they are capable of. Pictures to be proud of, to look at again and again with a smile………And above all else to HONOR THE ANIMAL.

(And when you take that “Perfect Picture” , the one you can’t stop staring at…….I might even help you figure out how to post it here!)
Old 09-16-2004, 02:54 AM

Default RE: 5th Annual "Take Quality Pictures!....Ones to be proud of"

Thank you Matt, Great post. I was worried about taking pics. since i hunt by myself, but after this, i feel confident of taking some nice pics.
Can't wait to see how to share them with everyone, on your next post possibly.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing like the instant gratification and feedback of a digital. You don’t like a shot, simply erase it and try again.
Sorry Matt, but I have to argue with this one. I never, and I mean never erase a picture that I have taken with my digital camera. Sometimes what looks like a bad picture can actually be a good moment to remember, just a silly looking picture. Might bring back a memory of why you had that stupid look on your face.

I believe there is no good reason to erase a picture from a digital camera. If you run out of room on your memory card, that is just poor planning!!
Old 09-16-2004, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's about time Matt. I wondered when we were going to see this excellent post this year.

AND Matt's right, it only takes a few extra minutes to take quality photos.....get that deer out of the truck, pose it and have pictures you can be proud of...pictures can last forever and be a beautiful thing....

Great post Matt.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just to help out with a couple of Matts suggestions.

Both pictures are of a buddies deer.

This first one is the night he got it, just cuz I wanted a quick picture of it.

Old 09-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

This second one is the next day when we went out to get some good pictures.

Notice he put his camo back on, grabbed his bow. We drove about 4 miles unloaded the deer, took pictures, loaded him back up and took him back to the garage.

What a world of difference!!

Old 09-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

NC
Old 09-16-2004, 09:26 AM

Great post, huge difference in the 2 pictures....We all take the time to get the hunt right, let's take good pictures to remember it by too.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:27 AM

Where was this post 10 years ago. All I have are shameful pictures of my personal best. A beautiful buck hanging from the rafters of my garage[:@]. At least I have a great mount to remember him by.

Take the extra time and get good pics. They'll last a lifetime. Great post Matt!
Old 09-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post Matt, a great picture is worth every effort. I started taking a small cassette recorder with me also. It is great to listen to the story and hear the excitement over and over again. Especially when you are with a person on their first successful hunt. Not to mention, I have hours of elk bugling and turkies gobbling on it. Good luck this season.

Quick Reply: 5th Annual "Take Quality Pictures!....Ones to be proud of"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.