HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   TOP: homebrew hunting tips and projects (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/72712-top-homebrew-hunting-tips-projects.html)

zukidude 09-15-2004 04:34 PM

TOP: homebrew hunting tips and projects

use this for all your homemade tips and projects (no replys or questions please)to save us that are on a buget some cash!! can someone stick this to the top

HOMEMADE DEER FEEDER about $10 to $12 should make you 2 feeders

5' 4' PVC 10' if you want 2
1 or 2 -4" SWEEP y
1 or 2 glue on cap
1or2 female glue in plug

glue the pipe on to the top strait side of the Y the sweep of th Y should be facing slightly up and away from the pipe
glue the female plug directly below pipe on bottom of Y drill a few small holes in it so it wont hold water
DO NOT GLUE TOP CAP THIS IS WHERE TO FILL IT
paint it camo
It will hold almost 20 llbs of corn or pelletts
it should look like a giant tobacco pipe when your done
use 2 bungee straps to fasten it too the tree
it is a good low buget feeder and if paited well hard to see by people

zukidude 09-15-2004 08:08 PM

RE: homebrew hunting tips and projects

Here's a homemade scent killer recipe I pulled off the internet at the beginning our last season. I've used it religiously and I haven't heard a snort all year. I was directly downwind at ground level on several occasions and was never winded. I also took my archery deer and can credit this stuff. I had leather boots on and had walked all over the area looking for a tree (first time I hunted that particular tree). I missed this deer on the first shot and it proceeded to circle downwind of me, nose high in the air. He never caught wind and I ended up getting a second shot that took him.

1 gallon distilled water (or clean creek water, just no chlorines or iodines in it)
1/2 box of baking soda
16 oz peroxide
2 shot glasses of Hunters Specialty green liquid soap

Pour out enough water from a gallon jug to get the other stuff in and let it fizz for a while after mixing (about 1 hour or the top will pop off). Then just transfer to a spray bottle and you're set.

128 oz cost about $4.50 vs $8-$10 for 16-32oz of some other fancy kind.

Other guys have tried it as well and say they've had success. I won't hunt without it again.

zukidude 09-16-2004 09:32 AM

RE: TOP: homebrew hunting tips and projects

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Printable version
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Hope to see you in the woods this weekend. horntagger

Helpful hints: One is best time to put it out is March/April and I put all 200 lbs in one hole. Also I like a water source to be within 100 yards.

If you put it out this time just put 100lbs won't do as much for them now. But will be a slight draw. Good Luck

zukidude 09-16-2004 09:42 AM

Making A Rangefinder

If you have any old center focus binoculars. They can be turned into a basic rangefinder. Focus on a object at 20yds for an archery rangefinder and mark the focus wheel, so you will know where 20yds is. You can make different and more than one yardage I just used 20yds as an example.

zukidude 09-16-2004 01:21 PM

Heres something my buddy and I came up with over the last few years and it works. In the mornings, before daylight, we were spooking deer as we headed to our stands. Then one day I was sitting in my stand listening to an armadillo walking through the woods. They make a ton of noise, but it is not foot steps like a man...just a constant rustle in the leaves because they are low to the ground and always rooting around. While I was watching and listening to the armadillo, some deer came through and they did not give the armadillo a second look. I thought...why not try shuffling my feet instead of walking on my way to my stand? I tried it the next morning and I did not spook any deer. OK..I think, but maybe no deer were nearby. I talked to my hunting buddy about it and he said he would try it the next morning. Well...he came back to camp that afternoon excited. He said he started shuffling--without really picking his feet up off the ground--about 150 yards from his stand (in the dark). After going a ways, he stopped to rest for a minute and heard deer feeding in the area of his stand. So he shuffled a ways further. The deer didnt leave. To make a long story short, he did a stop-and-go shuffle all the way to his ladder and the deer were within 30 yards of his stand--they did not even spook when he shined his flashlight on them (it was does)! They finally spooked and ran off when he started climbing the ladder. Needless to say, we use this technique in the daytime now, too. Try it and report back on your experience with it.

soonershooter 09-27-2004 12:02 PM

zukidude I spent 1/2 hour looking for this thread and I'd like to keep it at the top. I'm going to come up with a few ideas too. I hope others keep this thread going since admin isn't keeping it at the top permanently. It's a great idea to have for all of us to glean and give ideas and trade free tips.

JPruiett 09-27-2004 01:14 PM

Boil acorns and smash and then strain and put in a spray bottle. This should make some of the best cover scent available. You can also use pine needles.

boldplate 09-27-2004 04:40 PM

let's keep this one going guys

Rickmur 09-27-2004 05:22 PM

There's already too many posted to the top. Just keep bumping it back when it falls off the first page.

purep7646 09-27-2004 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: zukidude

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Printable version
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Hope to see you in the woods this weekend. horntagger

Helpful hints: One is best time to put it out is March/April and I put all 200 lbs in one hole. Also I like a water source to be within 100 yards.

If you put it out this time just put 100lbs won't do as much for them now. But will be a slight draw. Good Luck
I bought the supplies for this last year and didn't get a chance to use it. I put it out about three weeks ago, I forgot to use 2 parts trace mineral salt and only used 1 part. I went back to one of the two spots I put it down, I had covered the spot with leaves after I put it out so I would know if the deer touched it. There were no leaves on it when I went back... I hope it was the deer ;).