Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 TOP: homebrew hunting tips and projects >

TOP: homebrew hunting tips and projects

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TOP: homebrew hunting tips and projects

Old 09-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: TOP: homebrew hunting tips and projects

If the landowner doesn't object you can stretch down the top wire on a fence and tie it to the next one lower. This can create an easy crossing for deer so you can direct more traffic toward your stand. After the season remember to restore the fence.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Fork Horn

Close range hunting and hunter orange are not as conducive to killing deer as law makers believe. When I'm bow hunting and forced to wear hunter orange during gun seasons and if I'm on private land I like to leave an extra orange garment conspicuously in the stand. Deer get accustomed to it and aren't suspicious when they see it later when you're wearing it while you're in the stand.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:24 PM

I hunt at a corner of a trail that i can't see down so I put a bunch of leaves about 20 yards down so I could here the deer coming and get ready. Or just put something crunchy down. Dose anyone now how to streten out fletching. Mine are warping and i just got them fletched with nap quickspin's about 10 dollars extra at least.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Stake down a limb with braided fishing line across a trail and wipe with scent to create a mock scrape near your stand.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Primetime usually a hair dryer works to fix those fletchings.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:20 PM

If you have your own land, you can make a natural funnel by piling up brush so that it forces the deer to take a certain route (in front of your stand) and you can also clear paths to make travel easier.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

I hate quivers or laying arrows down on the lawn when practicing or worse getting mud on the tips if I stick them in the grass so I made a plastic stand for the arrows. Get a 2' piece of 3" PVC. Fasten a block of 1/2 inch plywood on the bottom and drive a 16 penny nail through it before you attach it. Put a U hook on the top of the pipe for a handle if you want. Just set it on the ground and the nail will anchor it upright anywhere in the yard.