Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scents to use for the first few weeks of archery? >

Scents to use for the first few weeks of archery?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scents to use for the first few weeks of archery?

Old 09-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Spike

Default Scents to use for the first few weeks of archery?

I will be hunting in PA during archery, season starts early october or late september, what do you guys use as far as scents to attract deer in you area? I used to use this one deer-farmers pre-rut scent but I really havent had much luck with it.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:15 PM

Default RE: Scents to use for the first few weeks of archery?

I use tinks no. 1 doe pee and tinks buck pee. The back of the tink's package recommends using the smoking sticks, but I haven't heard anything good or bad about them.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:30 PM

I've tried just about everything without any positive results.

I would suggest just trying to stay scent free and forget about attracting scents
Old 09-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Double Creek, using scents the begining or early season is really a waist of money but if you must, use a buck scent coupled with some like calling..it's better to go as scentless as possible and set up on travel routes to and from feeding/bedding areas....but that means preseason scouting.

PS, PA's season starts Oct 2nd so your legal.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:55 PM

if ur looking to take a doe usually a doe bleet works real good early season cause fawns are still with there mothers...
Old 09-15-2004, 10:53 PM

Pa hunter here....never found any scents to work in early season. even tried using pure vanilla as an attractant for shooting does, never worked though. stay scent free and be a big "bump on the log" untill the last 2 weeks, then use the estrous pee, estrous bleat and grunt call, works like a charm on the love sick bucks!
Old 09-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Spike

PS, PA's season starts Oct 2nd so your legal.
Yea, I did not know the exact date yet, b/c I have been really late in getting my license do to the fact that I am broke and need an out of state license since I moved to Jersey two years ago.

I have always had great success in the late season ranging from 1-5 buck in the morning sit and really dont see much in the afternoon. I have been using plenty of scent-free stuff since I have started archery and I remember my first year getting to see a fawn come through, but it is rare for me to see anything the first few weeks.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:40 PM

apples or peanutbutter if its legal where you hunt
Old 09-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

I doubt if the rut scents would work this early. Have you tried any curiosity scents? Something that smells like acorns or corn or some other food source.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Like the others said: BE SCENT FREE. Do not alert the deer that something has changed. If you must use something, go with regular doe pee (non-estrous).

Quick Reply: Scents to use for the first few weeks of archery?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.