Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bowhunting ground blinds >

bowhunting ground blinds

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting ground blinds

Old 09-15-2004, 06:12 AM

Default RE: bowhunting ground blinds

I've been hearing alot that the deer would be spooked with a blind if you don't set it up way before season? This would certainly put a damper on the portable blind theory. And as for natural blinds would I need to make it a full enclosure?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt from a pop-up blind a lot ,
and they don't spook if there is plenty of background jumble to break up your outline . Bow hunting can be challenging in a pop-up , you have to watch both your draw and head room . Go for one that has plenty of both . I have the Ameristep Outhouse and it won't work for bows so I got an open top style blind for the extra room . Sportsman's Guide has lots of different blinds on sale right now for good prices .
Old 09-16-2004, 11:55 PM

Wally world had the Doghouse for sale for 40.00 and the Outhouse for 70.00.I think the Doghouse weighed 9 lbs. and the Outhouse 14 lbs.
Do you think it is worth the money for the bigger one?Thanks
Old 09-17-2004, 08:10 AM

From my research with portable ground blinds is you have to cover the shooting ports with mesh to keep the black holes from spooking the deer. That is what they pick up on first. It also needs to be tucked into some brush and not just in the open to break it up some.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: vikingvictory

Wally world had the Doghouse for sale for 40.00 and the Outhouse for 70.00.I think the Doghouse weighed 9 lbs. and the Outhouse 14 lbs.
Do you think it is worth the money for the bigger one?Thanks
I think you have it backward .
I own an Outhouse and it usually goes for $40 , the Doghouse is the larger of the two also . The Doghouse would be a better choice for a bow hunter for draw room , but you have to be seated . The Outhouse is unsuitable for bow hunting . The Doghouse weighs 12 lbs. , the Outhouse weighs 8 lbs.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the double bull T-2 ground blind. I hide it really well with background cover. The one downfall I find is in thick forested spots where the light is low even during daytime light the light inside of the blind is even more inhibited. I often opt for a self-made ground blind with no top on it to allow more light in if I need to set up on bedding type areas like this.

The T-2 double bull blind is a nice blind and works better on edges where you get more light in, its easy to set up and easy to shoot out of. I do like the shoot threw mesh, it hides your movement inside of the blind. Deer and elk walk right by mine and pay it no attention to it, I have it set up a couple months before our August 30th opener to allow the deer to get acclimated to it.

I use tent pegs to hold mine down, since I leave mine in the area I hunt, this may not be possible for many due to the risk of someone stealing it. My double bull is on one of the few pieces of private land I hunt on. I wouldnt leave it on my public land spots.

btw...........Awesome looking buck your hunting...hope you arrow him!

Good luck,
Shed
Old 09-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Uhh wow that's a nice buck!! I happen to be from Upstate Ny myself if you need a hand with him.[:-]
As for ground blinds? I love to make natural ground blinds. I hunt from the ground quite a bit. Like the challenge and thrill of being eye to eye with them. Wind and scent control are obviously the concerns, but I like the mobility of hunting on the ground and being able to adapt quickly.
Bit of advice..... if you are used to practicing from a stand, make sure you spend some time shooting from the ground or on a chair, knees, etc.......
Old 09-17-2004, 12:04 PM

WOODY 14, man that is an awesome deer! As far as ground blinds go i have a brickhouse with the total scent containment system. it is an ok blind the only complaint i have with it is tha the fabric is so tigh on it that when i went to zip the door up the zipper tore away from the fabric. Other that that it has been a good blind. hope this hleps.
TOm
Old 09-17-2004, 04:15 PM

Well after alot of consideration, I decided to go with a natural blind this year to see how ground hunting goes for me. I almost have it finished already, I would appreciate it however if any body that hunts natural blinds could give me a little bit of advice. I set up under a tree with low hanging branches surrounded by brush. I made a enclosure with twine and tied up brush all around except for two shooting windows. My question now is do I need to make it so no light filters through it what so ever? I expect to be taking shots at around 25 - 30 yrds. And I have a big bush inbetween so I can draw back without being seen. I know that everyone is saying that black windows spook em, so thats why im wondering about the light. Look forward to any help, thanks.

P.S. Had to include this photo of the buck, reminds me of all those bigfoot photos out there
Old 09-18-2004, 10:12 PM

welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: bowhunting ground blinds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.