Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Doghouse doesn't look THAT uncomfortable! >

The Doghouse doesn't look THAT uncomfortable!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Doghouse doesn't look THAT uncomfortable!

Old 09-13-2004, 08:33 PM

Default The Doghouse doesn't look THAT uncomfortable!

My wife thinks I've finally gone off the deep end. For days now, I've been wondering when I might find the time to do some last minute shooting with my bow before bow season begins. Before the last two weeks, I had gotten out quite a few times to practice, but the only problem is I can't just walk out and shoot off of my deck for fear that my neighbors would have me locked up! [8D]
Tonight after going for a stroll with the Mrs., the baby, and the dog, I got the bright idea to try some short range shots (hehehe!) so I set up my target in the basement and stood at the top of the steps in the family room, and thought to myself, "Self, this just could work!"
(Keep in mind that the only thing that was in danger was some carpet or maybe some drywall, but nothing more).
Mrs. Jimbohunter couldn't believe her eyes and tried repeatedly to rain on my parade...
Anyway, 15 or so arrows later, I was very satisfied.
Now, does anybody have any flea powder or a dog box sized mattress that I can use? I might be sleeping outside for a few nights!
Old 09-13-2004, 08:50 PM

Default RE: The Doghouse doesn't look THAT uncomfortable!

LOL now that is some ingenuity there. i to live in a neet lil stuck up neiborhood no archery targets in my back yard besides that one wrong move and i might need a school kid 01 permit and tag and field dressing

the flea powder is no problem the matress might be hard to come by what the dog won't share or is he now residing on your side of the bed inside
Old 09-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

I live about 25 miles NW of NEw York City so you can imagine me shooting in my backyard--NOT. I have been basement shooting for years and have shots ranging from 10 yds to 20 yds and I occasionally use a 4 feet ladder just to get some elevation.

Not the best but it keeps me in form!

Good luck.

Bob
Old 09-13-2004, 09:02 PM

Talk to the snotty neighbors. They freaked the first time that they saw me shooting in the alley by the house. I explained that I did have a solid backstop(concrete retaining wall). And I soon had a crowd of old people, women, AND their kids, clapping and cheering me on. It made me feel good not only that all my practice was recognized, but also that I put forth a positive image of both archery and bow hunting to the general public. I'm fortunate enough to have always managed to find good places to practice, but be creative and you can probably find places outdoors. But if you don't the hallway is a good solution.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tonight after going for a stroll with the Mrs., the baby, and the dog, I got the bright idea to try some short range shots (hehehe!) so I set up my target in the basement and stood at the top of the steps in the family room, and thought to myself, "Self, this just could work!"
LOL, that's definately a creative way to practice indoors!

Now, does anybody have any flea powder or a dog box sized mattress that I can use? I might be sleeping outside for a few nights!
I've spent enough time in the dog house over the years. It's fully furnished now.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:54 PM

yep my wife got really mad when she tried for 2 weeks to get me on the roof to clean out the gutters lol.Then you saw me climb up and down like 10 times that evening shooting 8 arrows at a time.Needless to say i was in the dog house for a few nites.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:29 AM

Well, my neck is a little stiff and I have a runny nose, but I made it through the first night in the kennel! Here's to tonight!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great idea, Jimbo!

EOTN...Be careful shooting in town. Just because you have a backstop doesn't make it safe. If you use a release, it could fail and fling an arrow where ever you are pointing at the time. (usually above the target) If you shoot fingers, a slip is always possible.

I had a release let loose on me about 5 years ago, and let an arrow fly towards a house. Luckily it wasn't close to hitting anybody, but it was a sick feeling watching that arrow fly towards civilization.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:36 AM

JimboHunter , you sure have to be in RUT, When can you get out to the woods for season opener in Conn.??
Oh yeah, Hartz sells un-scented flea collars too
Old 09-14-2004, 07:37 PM

That's good to know about the unscented flea powder, Katbones. BTW, I'm in Harford County, Maryland, not Hartford, Connecticut. LOL