Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 expanding broadheads won't fly straight >

expanding broadheads won't fly straight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

expanding broadheads won't fly straight

Old 09-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: expanding broadheads won't fly straight

Big John - all three blades open - or did you try opening just one ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not challenging you, but it seems like having just one open would upset the flight.
I agree with this.

If he is shooting a 100 grain broadhead currently and was shooting a 100 grain field tip before it isn't a spine issue IMO. A 100 grains is a 100 grains when you compair mechanicals to field tips. I would suspect blades opening on route to target disrupting the arrows flight.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, I must say I didn't try them with only one blade open. Because alot of my customers requested spitfires, I put them thru a " 5-shot" test, only alot worse testing than he does, which included shooting into barrels, cement blocks, blades open, blades tied shut. Many customers swear by them, so for the best test , my shooting staff and I used them on deer , bear, turkeys, fox, and one wild Russian boar. Not one complaint in 3 years of use, in any department, including accuracy.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:52 PM

I think I would try to paper tune my set-up. What you are describing seems to indicate that your set-up in out of time. Either the spine of your arrow or the rest are probably the problem. Are you getting enough rest clearance? Are your arrows too long, the longer the arrow the more weight you need up front. You may get away with field points, however you will not have proper flight regardless of the type of broadhead. I would go back to Gander and ask when the archery manager is there and ask him to check the set-up, the manager generally has more experiance than the regular guys. Hurry up ... the season is almost here.

I have heard of people having problems with Spitfires, opening up with fast bows. One big problem, experianced here in Western New York is that I have witnessed these heads failing to open, verified buy examing entry wounds, due to condensation and freezing once back out in the cold, just like a rifle scope. Good luck!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Big John

I have shot spitfires in an open position on purpose , with no problems, from 2 bows. I believe you need to check arrow spine and bow tune.
I agree with Big john, as much as I hate too
Old 09-14-2004, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

It sounds like a spine issue to me. Nerf size footballs groups at low left, I bet you're borderline and too weak a spine. You must be shooting carbons. Borrow one of the next size up and screw on some broadheads. I bet you'll see a difference.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gander moutain tuned your bow? My buddy was asked if he wanted his string loop on the front or back of the string last week ay a Gander Mountain,I'm not kidding.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

If he is shooting a 100 grain broadhead currently and was shooting a 100 grain field tip before it isn't a spine issue IMO. A 100 grains is a 100 grains when you compair mechanicals to field tips. I would suspect blades opening on route to target disrupting the arrows flight.

The Spitfire is a very long broadhead with more surface area than a fieldpoint. A borderline spine that shoots small field points great, may very well show this disturbance with the larger profile mech (plus it changes FOC). My 2002 Pat SC shot great groups with field tips, but shot NAP scorpions (similar in profile and length to the spits) all over the place last year w/ my 3-49's. Went with Rocket Steelhead 100s which are teeny and the groups tightened right back up. AfterI purchased another bow for my primary hunter, I shot stiffer spined arrows with the Scorpions out of the PAT for kicks and the groups tightened right up.

However I think this may be a tune issue, or is a very common problem of misaligned inserts...even with mechs, misaligned inserts can cause flight deviation such as this...especially with the larger longer mechs designs.

Make sure the shafts are straight and the inserts are aligned properly.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:37 AM

I'd have to agree that the tune would be my primary concern. I'd first shoot through paper and see what indications you get. If spine is an issue which is my second thought it'll show when you shoot paper.

The season is coming, Good luck.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:40 AM

IMO I think it is a couple of different problems. First and foremost, I think it is a spine issue. Also, it could be the broadheads. Spin test them to make sure your arrows and broadheads are spinning true. It may also be the head is coming open during flight. If possible, have someone film your arrow being shot down range. Watch that video in slow motion. It may or may not show the broadhead opening. Good luck fixing the problem. I was in the same boat a couple of years ago, only my problem was with my bow!!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:32 AM

What an amazing website...
Thanks to all for your thoughts/suggestions:
I realize this is a big problem, so close to the season.
And i will not hunt until I rectify it..
I am obviously using the same weight field points as the spitfires.
In fact I switched to the Satellite Match Points from Cabelas because they have an identical elongated shape, just like the mechanical spitfires.
I will first try dental flossing the blades shut.
If this doesn't work, I will go back to the shop and see if it is a bow or an arrow-spine issue. I did switch to a whisper biscuit this summer and this may have changed things as well.
Anyway, Thanks to all for your help..
PS. BY the way, I am a newbie (been shooting targets for about 2 years) but I think that 3" groups at 20 yards (consistent, 100 % 3 inch groups) should give me the confidence to hunt at that yardage or less. Now I just have to get my broadheads to behave accordingly.

Quick Reply: expanding broadheads won't fly straight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.