Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first Bow Hunting experience >

My first Bow Hunting experience

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first Bow Hunting experience

Old 09-15-2004, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My first Bow Hunting experience

And so it begins

Sorry to hear you lost one. Seems like other than hitting it in the wrong spot you waited before tracking and put some effort into finding it. As far as the tail up thing and the deer not being hit in the vitals....nothing is in stone when it comes to a wounded deer's behavior. How experienced are your hunting partners with tracking and such?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Spike

I am pretty sure that the hit was on the upper side of the lugs. I am hunting deer with rifle for many years. This is the first one that I wounded and lost. My hunting partners are bowhunting for more than 15 years and I would comfortably say that they are experienced in tracking wounded deer.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:25 AM

The shot placement may have been the ultimate problem. I shot the Spitfires for 3 years, and this year I am going back to Muzzys for the reason you stated in your thread. I do not want to worry if my BH will open or not. Chances are you missed the vitals. There may be a chance the deer will survive. They can be tough critters!!!! Keep your chin up!!! Many of us "veteran" hunters have gone through what you are going through right now!!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer to use fixed blades as well (Thunderhead 125). NOTHING stops these....not even the shoulder bone. Maybe it is my bow...or the weight of arrow that I am shooting...but these things will go through anything.

As for how tough deer are....
My friend is a taxidermist. He arrowed a deer last year and proceeed to prepare the head...He found a slug in the front of the buck's throat against the skin. It had come through the deer from around the shoulder area a year or so before. It was completely healed. The only reason the slug was recovered is because he was doing the mount.

So, if you did have a poor shoulder shot.....the deer might live. I wouldn't stop looking for it just yet.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i have done that too, i must admit. Though for sure he was done but a flock of turkeys jumped him up and i couldnt find him...................i prayed and prayed to find that deer, and never did. My uncle found him the following year across a creek i overlooked. But i doubt it was the broadhead i have been using spitfires for years and only lost one buck due to looking in the wrong place.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:10 PM

i had somthing simular happen to me last sept 28th. I shot a doe right in the vidales a little high but enough to penitrate. The doe ran right by my friend and stoped. he had not known that i had shot the deer kand he drew back to take a shot and release his arrow but missed it. The deer ran for about another 200yrds and looked back at his tree and just vanished. we found tonz of blood. And waited a couple of hours to go find it but never did. What we think happend was it ran until it dropped and iv heard that if a wounded deer is "frightend' that they can run for miles until the drop dead. But i dont know
Old 09-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: grkhunter

Hi All,
It is my first time that I went hunting with a bow. I have a raiders @ #65 and 29 inches carbon Eastern arrows with 100grm Spitfire broad heads. I shot a deer in a distance of 15 yards. I shot it on just a little bit left of the front foot and ~3 inches higher, I know that I was not dead center on the vital area but a little bit higher. The deer snorted and started running. After 2 hours I decided to go and track it down. I found the arrow broken, 3 inches of the arrow plus the broad head stayed inside the deer. I spent more than 4 hours trying to find it to no avail. I found a minimum amount of blood drops but then they disappeared. My hunting partner told me that he saw the deer running with the tail up approximately 300 yards away from the spot that I hit it. In his opinion if the tail is up the deer was not shot in the vitals.
I am trying to do the aftermath and see what went wrong and such an animal got to waste. I am very surprised on how the arrow did not penetrate the deer in such a small distance. Could it be the broad heads that I was using? Maybe they did not open up and somehow got stuck inside? Did anybody else had a similar experience?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

John