Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fawns ?

Old 09-13-2004, 08:34 AM

Default fawns ?

A good friend of mine says that he shoots fawns because they're better eating/more tender. I've eaten some of his meat, and honestly, I can't tell the difference.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to do it - it just seems sort of "wasteful" (not quite the right word) to me.

Where I hunt in NY (shotgun), on the adjacent public land, there's plenty of people that take fawns every year. I think half of them have no idea that it's a fawn until they get it back to the truck and one of their buddies tell them.

My question is, do you think shooting a fawn is "unethical" ?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fawns ?

a hunter kills for meat only, but if your trying to do some qdm, then shooting they fawns are a no-no becuase they could be button bucks. I really dont think there is a difference in the meat.......deer is deer to me.
I only shoot mature deer.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:10 AM

I'm not sure of the ethics, but my wife and son would call me a Bambi killer. So i will not shoot a fawn,cause of the home headaches.[]
Old 09-13-2004, 09:16 AM

I have shot a fawn before, accidentally. I shot the bigger of the 2, but it must have just been the female fawn instead of the Mom. I felt bad, but as long as it is going to be used for food I don't believe it is unethical. My son will be hunting for the 1st time ever this season and I will not discourage him from shooting any deer he sees. Ethics are something each person must define for him/her self. Although their are some basic ethics everyone should follow.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Back when I cared to eat deer, I would only shoot bambis. Even today I will take a bambi over any deer under 150 class. They are so much easier to get out of the woods and butcher. If you want more meat then shoot two.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

I read in Deer and deer hunting that radio collared buck fawns have been known to disperse UP TO 30 miles from the location they were born... So it is safe to say that the majority of buck fawns are gone the next year...

that said, I dont shoot fawns on purpose, but later in the season, when there by themself, it sometimes gets easier to mistake for a doe
Old 09-13-2004, 09:57 AM

I don't believe killing faws falls on either side of the "ethical fence" . If it has spots I let it walk but if it's a yearling (small without spots) it's fair game in my book. IMO the most important thing is to identify the sex of the animal. If there is a question of weather or not the animal is a button, it walks. Thats how I call it just my $0.02
Old 09-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

I remember a post similar to this one... makes me recall mixing up a doe and a yearling in the scope of a rifle. I was fairly young then and very upset when I reached the small bodied deer lying on the edge of the woodlot. Personally, I would not intentionally shoot a small deer and by no means would I even harvest a fawn.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't, but thats my choice. As long as you are legal and it's a clean ethical kill, that will be cherished and/or eaten, no one can judge you wrongly!
Old 09-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ONLY when the objective is to put meat in the freezer! I hunt for two reasons! First and foremost the joy of taking that buck that no one else can seem to get and two for the meat in the freezer. I have taken my fair share of yearlings during gun season and I can not tell the difference when it is on the table.

Quick Reply: fawns ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.