Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 String noise, and I think a lot! >

String noise, and I think a lot!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String noise, and I think a lot!

Old 09-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default String noise, and I think a lot!

I have been shooting my bow this year and it seems to have a lot of sting noise at release. I noticed it last year but just thought it was me. The guy at the shop said it was not loud, but i disagred. Going to another shop Sunday. I had my dad listen to it tonight and he said it was really loud.. I have changed arrow and whiskers, lizards, and stabilizers, could it be the string itself. It also has alot of vibration to it Too. I shoot a Darton Maverick, 70#, 28 7/8 draw, and 27 1/4 arrows, 100 grain thunderhead, whisker bis. rest, and a release. I have been shooting Ics hunter 300, and Easton xx75 2314, and have some ICS 400 Ventures and 400 Easton Excels and Epics and the way. The arrows that I have been shooting are flying straight, I just hate the noise. Some help would be great Should I change the String. I know It couldn't hurt. Why is this happening. Mark
Old 09-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: String noise, and I think a lot!

Be sure that it is the string and a bow always seems louder to the shooter than someone standing off to the side....check your bow for all vibrations ie rest, sight, accessories..etc..

Your closing in on a season if yours already hasn't started and if your intending on changing strings, do it soon. I recommend a new string every year and no more than two years so if your ready for a new string, by all means git r dun....and have a great season.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:43 PM

I have shot the same bow for three years now and after awhile it started sounding loud to me. The vibration thing was happening too. And some people said it was fine while others said it was just me being too particular. It turns out that the cams on my bow were out of time with each other and I needed a new string( but I knew that and when I went to get a new one put on the tech told me what I just told you). I'm getting the bow back in the next two days, then I'll see. I hope this helps. Also, unless you can service your bow yourself, you may have to prepare yourself to give up your bow for as much as a week if the shops are as cowded as they are around here right now>good luck.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Could it be the cams and how do they get out of line. I have not change the string in four years, but only shoot about 40 times a year. Could changing the string make that much difference. Mark
Old 09-12-2004, 10:31 PM

Have you waxed your string lately? After a while your strings start to separate a fray a tiny bit the wax will hold them together. Basically it will lenghten the life of the string?
Old 09-13-2004, 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: markjenna

Could it be the cams and how do they get out of line. I have not change the string in four years, but only shoot about 40 times a year. Could changing the string make that much difference. Mark
40 separate shooting sessions or 40 single shots?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:21 AM

The Darton Maverick is not know as a quiet bow. A buddy of mine had one and he put every noise dampening product know to man kind on it, and it was still loud compared to my Hoyt. But it didn't stop him from being sucessful with it. Moral of the story, quite worrying about it and go hunt... If you really worried about it, there are several different manufactures out there that make a quieter bow..
Old 09-13-2004, 08:42 AM

Two things I can think of. If you don't have limb savers, put them on, they help with vibration and sometimes the noise. Two, play with different string silencers and the locations. I prefere the yarn puff ball silencers myself. They are cheap and work really well for a long time. Cat whiskers are pretty good also. Like I said, play with the location of them up and down the string, this may make a difference.

Another thing to consider is some accessories make noise, like certain peeps. Also check for loose stuff that might be vibrating or rattling when you shoot.

Paul
Old 09-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Darton Maverick is not know as a quiet bow.
This is true , the expess cam from 4 years ago was louder than the curant extreme cam . I would change strings after 4 years , put string leaches on the strings and cabels , limb savers , and a quality stabilizer , and it will quiet down considerably . The mavrick is one fine shooting bow , and with the simms stuff on it definatly quiet enough . You should shoot more than 40 shots a year , more than 40 shots a week is much better .
Old 09-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

My average is 40 shots a day.