Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I can't believe this... >

I can't believe this...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can't believe this...

Old 09-12-2004, 07:52 PM

Default RE: I can't believe this...

Anyone know how to spot "backtracking" and when someone is filling the cracks that were originally wide open?

However, the actual points of relevancy include more than just the need to practice. How about going over the gear with a fine-tooth comb to make sure that the "stuff" that has laid in a case for almost a year is not worn or in a "near-failure" condition.

After all, if someone does not haul out their "stuff" until the last minute, and has to post on the Inet that they cannot find their release and believes he or she can make an quick and easy transition to shooting with fingers, is it not possible the same person put their gear away in dirty and worn condition...always?

I love the part where someone else shoots the bow in. [X(]

Go "Lung Busters!"
Old 09-12-2004, 08:21 PM

OK, let me come completely clean, since evidently it is being missed.

I used the board wrongly. I lied. I never lost my release. I was never gonna try to learn to shoot fingers, although I did play around with finger shooting in 1990. No, I don't let my buddy shoot my bow in for me. That was a poor analogy of a gun hunter using a bench rest with sand bags to shoot his gun in (i.e. 'he holds steadier than I do'- just like sand bags allow a hunter hold his gun much stiller than he'll ever do in the field, usually.)

I posted this intentionally for three reasons:

1. To get people to flame me because I did not live up to their expectations.
2. To make a point about the difficulty of archery hunting vs. gun hunting and the rating of trophies accordingly (this was juvenile and I apologize).
3. To make a point about people flaming others when they do things differently than they do, regardless of the overwhelming support of Montgomery Gentry's message in their song, 'You do your thing.'

However, no I don't shoot a thousand arrows a year. Yes, I put my bow away and don't shoot much until August first. I have other hobbies and a three and a half that likes to play tackle with his daddy. I do other things other than shoot and bow hunt.

Yes, I can take my bow out of storage and shoot bullseyes, after 3 or 4 arrows. Maybe others can't, but I can. I've shot about a hundred arrows this year because I have a newer bow that I bought from a friend and wanted to get used to it. But now I go out and at twenty to thirty yards I group consistently with 3 inches. I have 3" paste on dots. I shoot at them. I hit them. I shoot in groups of three. I shoot 5 to 8 groups of them every few days, from different angles and different heights, with my camoflauge on. After I hit the dot 15 to 24 times, why do I need to go on and keep shooting arrow after arrow? I like shooting my bow, but I got burnt out once before shooting too much and didn't shoot for 12 years. I like to quit while I still want more- that goes for most things in my life.

BUT, if I was a new shooter and came to this board wanting to learn some things, I would probably run away from the sport feeling like I couldn't measure up the lofty goals that you guys set forth with your attitudes at times, ready to leap on anyone that doesn't practice daily with 50-60 arrows. Heck, people have lives, not everyone can do that.

The 3/4" group thread of last week by a fairly new hunter is a good case in point. The guy said he could shoot 3" groups but his buddy is telling him that he shoots 3/4" groups at 20 yards. Post after post is telling the guy to practice, practice, practice. Heck, 3" groups at 20 yards is pretty darn good for hunting, but if I was that guy, I would have gone away wondering if I had what it takes to hunt deer. Doubt in your abilities when pulling back on a deer is worse than shooting 3" groups. He's more than ready, but now he may doubt himself.

Then there was the 5 stages of a hunter thread. That list, though not intentionally, is telling people that there is a higher plateau that they need to reach for to be a 'complete' hunter, and that if they are not to that point yet, they are, in a way, inferior. Just read the posts, practically all of us that posted were trying to put ourselves partially in that 5th category, when there should be no shame in being in stage one, two, three or four, if that is where you're happy and where you get the most fulfillment and are doing it legally.

Anyway, those are the points I wanted to make, and I did a very poor job of how I went about it. Thank-you Bowfanatic for pointing that out to me.

C903, you'll probably not buy this explanation and flame me anyway, judging me against your high standards and ethics that I'll never reach, nor aspire to, if it causes me to flame others as much as you do. When I wrote the original post, I knew you would be one of the first to reply. That's fine. We'll just be two people that will never agree. Life goes on.

Oh, and I think the Lungbuster will be just fine, even with an old slob like me on their team, but thanks for your encouragement.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:35 PM

this was a nasty joke.......[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:@]
Old 09-12-2004, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: bobcat 10

this was a nasty joke.......[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:@]

I know, and I apologize. Poor judgment on my part.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:39 PM

one i will never forget to......[:@]
Old 09-12-2004, 08:52 PM

I do not "flame!" I say it the way it is or I "mirror." I do not have "high standards." I do try to live by the "hunting standards" that all hunters should have.

Did you expect to be "coddled?" What you pretended, if your were, was/is not fictional.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:00 PM

by23856, Nothing in your post would lead any intellegent person to conclude that you have the intellectual capacity to possible forsee what you claim you did as a reason justifing your post. Your story is completely inconsistant. If you want to come clean just say you lied and didn't lose your release; or that yes, you indeed should practice more, whatever, is the truth. One last piece of advice, don't tout your christain wares, then in the next post say you lied. You have a serious credibilty issue.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:05 PM

by23856, Nothing in your post would lead any intellegent person to conclude that you have the intellectual capacity to possible forsee what you claim you did as a reason justifing your post. Your story is completely inconsistant. If you want to come clean just say you lied and didn't lose your release; or that yes, you indeed should practice more, whatever, is the truth. One last piece of advice, don't tout your christain wares, then in the next post say you lied. You have a serious credibilty issue.
....muley69 you are 100% right.......by23856.i have not been mad in a long time..this tops it all....it was just darn dirty....what do you get out of it....was it funny to you....
Old 09-12-2004, 09:13 PM

I'll admit it...Wednesday was the first day since last season that I pulled out my bow to start practicing for the Oct 1 opener... I'm not ashamed either...I had college, turkey season, a girlfriend, and a squirrel dog pup to raise and train. I pulled out the bow and shot using pins, just to see how consistent I could make my groups...Not perfect, and I need a little oil cause I'm a little rusty, but it's nothing I can't work out before season. And before the season, I'm switching to a pendulum...I may even buy a new one before then[] that I'll have to get used to. So what? I'm not worried, cuase I'm confident that I'll get it right, and if I don't, I'll wait to hit the field until I feel good about it. My stand is safe and secure and nobody can hunt it but me, so I'm not concerned if I have to miss the first day. I think hunters should let hunters hunt how they want as long as they get it done right. I guarantee I'll be shooting good before I go out, and I haven't practiced all year until this last Wednesday. I don't feel bad about that either. Also, some say that this kind of stuff gives fuel to the antis...yeah right, nothing we say or do could ever make them turn our way, if they are really an anti, it doesn't matter how much you practice, they're not going to like you, and they will always have "fuel." Would you ever become an anti hunter? No way, and nothing they could say or do could make you an anti, and the antis feel as strongly as you do, only on the opposite end. Good luck everyone this season, and encourage your fellow hunters, please. -MIKE
Old 09-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could intentionally start this thread on ANY bowhunting forum on the internet and you'll get the exact same responses. [&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.