Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I can't believe this... >

I can't believe this...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can't believe this...

Old 09-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I can't believe this...

gun hunting is 100 times easier then archery .... with archery everyones techniques and points of anchor ar different ... you should shoot your own bow , you owe the animal that atleast .....

[>:]
Old 09-12-2004, 07:43 AM

I must have miss read the post I thought he said he had 4 days to pratice. I usually just shoot a couple of leaves on the way into the stand to see if everything is ok.

Have a friend shoot it? Why? Don't those sights come sighted in? I just screwed a new one on last year and it was ok.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: DoubleLung55

gun hunting is 100 times easier then archery .... with archery everyones techniques and points of anchor ar different ... you should shoot your own bow , you owe the animal that atleast .....

[>:]
I agree 100% DoubleLung.

So then, wouldn't taking a deer with a bow be more of a trophy than taking one with a gun? After all, I've got to take all this time practicing with my bow, 1000's of arrows by most people's accounts, and can shoot a few rounds through my gun to be ready. Hmmm?!?!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

You just don't get it do you. I know this isn't so hard to understand.

How about I don't pratice for a year and we play "William Tell". Say 20 yards the apples on your head. How confident would you be I'd hit the apple and not you?

Think about it. Common sence (If common sence was so common everyone would have it I guess) dictates you must pratice to be lethal with a bow and arrow.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:57 AM

SO! Now you see! If you believe that this is an exceptional example, you have your head in the sand or you are the same type of person who uses a bow to shoot at animals.

Just like on another thread where a person does not know why his bow is reacting in a certain way. When provided "factory" adjusting info he is still confused because he does not know the basic nomenclature of his bow and does not know what part of the bow the "factory" manual is referring to.

The next time someone chimes in and wants to HEAVILY debate bows, equipment, and bowhunting, maybe, just maybe, background and skill should be considered and weighed. Otherwise, the unaware may be taking the advice of someone that cannot yet spell BOW.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Wounding deer is not cool. Double Lung shots are. Even the best miss from time to time, but at least they can say they gave their all to put a quick and painless end to the animal that they admire.

Jim

It is good to practice, for muscles and such, and sights can get knocked around, anchor points can vary. As for guns its a hell of alot easier to prepare but i still leave myself a few weeks to sight it in.

The deer gods might get angry at you! You dont want that.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: c903

SO! Now you see! If you believe that this is an exceptional example, you have your head in the sand or you are the same type of person who uses a bow to shoot at animals.

Just like on another thread where a person does not know why his bow is reacting in a certain way. When provided "factory" adjusting info he is still confused because he does not know the basic nomenclature of his bow and does not know what part of the bow the "factory" manual is referring to.

The next time someone chimes in and wants to HEAVILY debate bows, equipment, and bowhunting, maybe, just maybe, background and skill should be considered and weighed. Otherwise, the unaware may be taking the advice of someone that cannot yet spell BOW.
You've made my point exactly. People don't know anything about the other people that make posts here on this board, but they take what they say as gospel, or worse yet, flame them when they make a statement that may not be complete.

What if I said that I can't find my hunting release, but that I shot the 1000's of arrows (that so many of you self righteous guys think that I ought to shoot before ever shooting at the righteously exalted deer) with my target release over the summer? And now this weekend I'll be brushing up with my hunting release. Would that have change things? Sure it would. But how many of you gave me the benefit of the doubt? No one. Well, I have shot a mess of arrows this summer because I got a new bow, a new Rhino release (how many are brave enough, or sure enough about their form to use that release, I wonder?), and a shorter draw length- because the last time I had a bow set up for me was in 1990 when everyone thought that you had to be stretched out like you were on a cross to shoot.

However, 2 years ago when I came back to shooting after a 12 year hiatus of not even unpacking my old Hoyt Pro Vantage with overdraw, I reluctantly picked up my bow after weeks of pressure from my pastor to get back into archery with him. After 3 shots, my remaining 18 shots were all within a 3” bulls eye at 20 and 25 yards. This was 3 days before the season. I’m so evil, I guess. I should have had to pay a 2 year penitence for such a dastardly act. I didn’t though, and that season I shot a 7 point buck through both lungs at 18 yards, hitting him where I aimed. So, Buckeyebowhunter, it would depend on who you were if I would let you do it or not. Well, actually, it would be stupid to ever let anyone do it, whether they shot 20,000 arrows all summer or 2. What was that you said about common sense?

I shot 5 years in south central PA, from 1985-1990, worked a year and a half in a pro bow shop in Hummelstown for you PA boys, and was fortunate enough to have shot with Todd Herman, a Hoyt pro Staff shooter, and Scott Schultz, now the president of Robinson scents and also a Hoyt staff member. Those men did not have to shoot 1000’s of arrows to hit a bullseye, much less to hit a deer. No, I’m not the shooter those two are, but I am in the upper middle half. I shoot 3 D’s clean, without missing the lungs- ever. I can sit my bow down today and come back in 12 years and do it again. The number of arrows shot through a bow means squat. I firmly believe everyone has a plateau that they will reach in shooting, and short of a miracle or constant professional training, they will sit there. And for some of us, it doesn’t take a thousand arrows a month to reach that plateau again. I have seen it in myself, I have seen it in the hundreds of guys that came into our shop in ‘89 and ’90, and I have seen it in my father that nearly killed himself trying to get onto the Hoyt pro team, but could never get above his plateau. He literally did shoot countless thousands of arrows, but lacked that natural gift, whatever it is, that would allow him to do everything identically shot after shot after shot. I know that I can shoot 3” groups consistently in rain, sleet, snow or 100 degree heat. I’ll never shoot 2” groups consistently, much less the ½” and ¾” groups some people claim to shoot consistently. If one of those groups a day or every other day is all it takes to claim I shoot ¾” groups, then OK, I shoot ¾” groups. Woohooo.

Was my example with the trophies a little off? Sure it was, but it went deeper than that. Fieldmouse stated the way he saw things and felt about trophies, and got flamed for it. Those of us that agreed with him got flamed by extension, because we agreed. There’s also the Montgomery Gentry video thread that showed a link of their video, “You do your thing”. Many chimed in saying how much they liked that song, but unfortunately that doesn’t apply here on this board that is populated by the most ethical hunters in the world. It’s a great slogan until someone holds a different view on how deer should be hunted. There is the example of TexasHighrack who had the balls to tell people here not to tell him how he should hunt on his Texas Ranch. Then those that flamed drives based on a TV show they saw on OLN. Then those that flame people for legally hunting over bait. Hell, it goes on and on. But, hey, You Do Your Thing, as long as it matches the way I do things.

Now, C903, you label me as 'a shooter of animals', like I am lower than dirt. Do you know that I kneel and pray and thank God (yes, I’m a Christian) over the body of my deer for the opportunity to have harvested such an animal, for the health and ability to do so, and for the opportunity to do so? Do you know that I have a church ministry in Plattsmouth Nebraska that has gotten youth and adults into bow hunting, and that we hunt together and they are ambassadors within their communities for both Christ and Bowhunters. Do you know that as a group we have gotten some farmers to open their land back up to bow hunting after refusing for years because of unethical bow hunters and the wounded deer they left behind? No, you don’t, but the accusations fly anyway. That’s fine, because I don’t measure my worth by how popular I am on a hunting board that I visit for 3 months a year. Go ahead and flame guys, and accuse others of hurting the hunting community while not looking at yourselves.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

So, Buckeyebowhunter, it would depend on who you were if I would let you do it or not. Well, actually, it would be stupid to ever let anyone do it, whether they shot 20,000 arrows all summer or 2. What was that you said about common sense?
My comment was in gist. "Common sense" would also dictate that to you as well.

Why not just use your rhino release, instead of learning how to shoot off the string in 4 days. Or having your "friend" shoot it for you.

What's all the fuss about? I don't take my practice shots anyway. I let my friend do it, who shoots better than me and can hold still better than me, just to make sure the bow hits where it ought to hit. If it hits where it's supposed to, I ought to be able to hit in the field, shouldn't I?
From your comments of your friend shooting your bow for zero to you being a mid class 3-D hunter class shooter is BS IMO.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You start with this:

It's only 4 days till hunting season and I can't find my release anywhere. I laid it in the garage last year after getting my deer, and now I can't find it. I guess I'll have to learn to shoot with fingers by Wednesday.
Then add this:

What's all the fuss about? I don't take my practice shots anyway. I let my friend do it, who shoots better than me and can hold still better than me, just to make sure the bow hits where it ought to hit. If it hits where it's supposed to, I ought to be able to hit in the field, shouldn't I?

Then you proceed to give a sermon "on judging people and chastising them for not doing things your way". [&:]
While your last post had some good points to it I believe it lost it's merit by your munipulative and deceitful way of getting it across!
Old 09-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with EVERYONE ELSE if you don't practice at least some you have no right to go into the woods archery is a million times harder than pulling the trigger on a firearm way too many variables if you rely on your friend to pactice shoot your bow might as well let him shoot your deer for you too that way you can sleep in work late or whatever other excuse you might have for not pulling your bow out months ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.