Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tips or Tricks For Skinning? >

Tips or Tricks For Skinning?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tips or Tricks For Skinning?

Old 09-11-2004, 10:57 AM

Default Tips or Tricks For Skinning?

Looking for any help in skinning deer before the butcher shop, that you have found to be helpful?
Old 09-11-2004, 02:18 PM

Default RE: Tips or Tricks For Skinning?

hang the deer upside down, trim around the tail and hind legs, grab a handful and pull....

you will need to do some trim work around the front legs and the neck/head.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

hang the deer upside down, trim around the tail and hind legs, grab a handful and pull....
With a 4-wheeler or pickup truck.
Peel the hide away from the rearend, enough to put a baseball sized rock in the hide, tie a cinch knot around the rock in the hide, tie the other end to a vehicle and pull.
Just make sure the deer is tied up to something very stable, like a big tree branch. If you do this in your garage make sure you don't pull your ceiling down
Old 09-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me using a vehicle is rediculous for skinning a deer. It takes about 10 minutes without one...and the mistakes people make when using a vehicle are usually costly. JMO, though.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line

To me using a vehicle is rediculous for skinning a deer. It takes about 10 minutes without one...and the mistakes people make when using a vehicle are usually costly. JMO, though.

Exactly.

If you run into a sticky spot you will rip half the meat apart before stopping the vehicle...........or maybe you end up pulling down your garage roof. Just not worth it.

I skinned a buck I wanted to have a shoulder mount done on last year so I was REALLY careful when I got to the front legs on up to the skull. The whole job took me about 20 minutes to do flawlessly. Not worrying about the cape I can be done in 10 minutes.

Sharp knife and some pulling is all you need.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:39 PM

I'm not what you would call very experienced but I think skinning is the easiest part of hunting after the shot. Easier than gutting and definately easier than butchering. Just my opinion. Atlasman is on the money, a small sharp knife and a little bit of effort, especially if you're not skinning for a mount, in which case, I'd probably need help.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:53 AM

Thank you all who responded
Old 09-12-2004, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another piece of advice...Cut from the inside out whenever possible. By that I mean don't cut through the hair anymore than you have to for 2 reasons...

1. It dulls your knife incredibly fast to cut hair
2. It drags the hair into the meat.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

During warm weather, when you skin right away, pulling the hide by hand is easy, but in Wisconsin, we must wait to register our deer at a registration station and in late season, or during rifle season when we have 8-10 frozen deer to skin, it sure makes alot of work easy using a 4-wheeler. For us it is not rediculous, it's practical, and we have never had a problem doing them this way. We use a big tree to hang our deer from so the garage roof thing is not an issue but is something I am aware of.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

I've sen a skinning aid advertised that uses air you put a needle in the hide hook it to an air compresser has anyone tried this ? does it work or is it more bs to get you to spend more money ?

Quick Reply: Tips or Tricks For Skinning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.