Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got my elk!!!  (Pic) >

Got my elk!!! (Pic)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my elk!!! (Pic)

Old 09-07-2004, 11:45 AM
CG

Default Got my elk!!! (Pic)

Here's the story:

Friday night my brother and I back packed in about 5 miles and barely made it to camp. The bulls were going crazy!!!! I called a spike in to about 10 feet from my brother that night and, having never hunted before, you can imagine how big his eyes were.

We woke up the next morning and nothing was bugling...absolutely nothing. We walked up a drainage about 2 miles and got into a bunch of bulls. It was raining pretty hard but not bad enough to give up the hunt. I called in several 5x5s and raghorns but nothing to even think about shooting as far back as we were. The bulls were really responding to cow calls.

We came to a drainage and could hear several bulls on the far mountainside. Well I watched a nice 320 clas bull come off of the mountain and set-up. I realized that he started heading up the drainage so I boogied to a set of rocks over looking the drainage, trying to cut the distance. Well just as soon as I get to the rocks I see antlers coming down the drainage. My brother is still walking to where I ran to so I motion (VERY adamantly) to get down. The bull bugled once at 30 yards, stepped into an opening (moving left to right) at 40 yards, I cow called, held my 30 yard pin 6" above centerline (I shoot 1 pin), and let it fly. The hit was perfect, entering behind his right shoulder and breaking the off side shoulder and exiting. He went about 30 yards (nearly running over my brother), stumbling and laid down. It was over in less than a minute. What a fantastic, sad, joyous, exhilarating, and emotional moment.

When I shot him I didn't really look at the horns, thinking he was the same bull (320 class) as came off the mountain side but as my brother and I approached I began to realize he was MUCH bigger than 320. I couldn't get my hands around any parts of the main beam!! Also his body was so large it kind of misled me as to how big his horns really were.

I leave the rest of the story with the visual of me and my brother packing out 150 lb. packs 6 miles, uphill, through dangled creek bottoms.....TWICE!!! Got the last load out on Mon. (Labor Day).

This bull has 48" main beams and a 42" inside spread and 13" bases. His mass is truly incredible. One Pope and Young scorer got a gross green score of 380 4/8 and another got a green score of 378 6/8. A great bull!!

This is my fifth bull in 5 years. It's been a great run of success and needless to say, I've worked incredibly hard for this success. What an honor to take such a great animal.

My gear was a Mathews MQ1 70 lbs. w/ GoldTip Big Game 100 arrows tipped with 125 gr. Snuffers weighing 525 gr. I used Primos Sound Plate diaghram calls and Hyper Lip Single.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Got my elk!!! (Pic)

Wow!!! Awesome bull!!

Sounds like you had a great hunt. The only down side is....you're done. Now what?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:56 AM
CG

Big Muleys!!! That's what's next!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:04 PM

Incredible animal!

Congratulations!!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is an awesome bull and a great story!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great bull CG. Where did you kill him? I'm from wyoming, I spent a lot of time above meeteetsie and in the big horns this summer. I wish I was there to hunt right now. Great job.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:13 PM

WOW!!!! Congrats. Sounds like a great hunt.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice elk, I'm going for elk in 2 days wish me luck.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:18 PM

What a beautiful animal I can only imagine the thrill of chasing such majestic animals up high in the hills.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats CG. That's a beauty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.