Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Entrance and exit routes? >

Entrance and exit routes?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Entrance and exit routes?

Old 09-07-2004, 01:56 PM
czc

Default RE: Entrance and exit routes?

I thank that people actually worry to much about scent my self. Most deer today actually smell people scent everyday. I never set more than 10 to 12 feet up in a tree stand and still never have a problem with deer being spooked by my scent they walk right under me. I've spooked more deer by my movement than i have with them smelling me. Deer are more spooked by something they smell out of the ordinary. Deer anymore are so use to smelling people everyday because of all the timber and land where clearing that our secnt doesn't affect them as much as them seeing use. all the deer i've taken with bow have been within 10 to 15 yards from my tree. As far as figureing out were there going to be beding or coming from i've givin up on that . More than likely the deer are goin to come from the direction that you less expect it.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Entrance and exit routes?

you do want to be worried about the wind direction. speed etc. if the wind is too strong they might not get a wiff of ya. but i garuntee you that if a deer smells you he will act differently.. he will stomp the ground, snort, if yoru lucky and or bolt if your not. i think the most important thing is if you are going after the SMART bucks.. im talking about the ones who have survived 3.5-5 years your looking at a deer who knows whats up. he knows what smells dont belong and what sounds dont belong there. and if he sences that there is something wrong he probabaly wont present a good shot. if not i have watched many deer circle around back about 1/2 hour after smelling me and try to get up wind to figure me out... that is when you KNOW they smelled you because they walked DIRECTLY down wind of you to sniff... then you get that feeling.. (BUSTED)

and you all know what that feeling is like... [:@]