Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One eye or two?

Old 09-05-2004, 09:38 PM

Default RE: One eye or two?

You should shoot with both eyes open. You need both eyes open or your depth perception will be greatly diminished. If you have to shoot with one eye closed you may be shooting with your non dominant eye. I am totally right handed but was lucky enough to buy my first bow from a well informed person who asked which was my dominant eye. Upon discovering that I was left eye dominant, my aim(shooting anything) improved greatly. And to test for your dominant eye: put a small hole(a bit smaller that a dime) in a piece of paper( index cards work perfect), hold the paper out in front of you with arms outstetched while focusing on a distant object through the hole in the paper. Then slowly and steadily pull the paper, while focusing , towards your face until it is directly in front of your dominant eye. This method works really well for determining your dominant eye. And I'm sure quite a few people will be surprised to find out that they have been shooting backwards, same as I was. I hope this helps some people.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:48 PM

both eyes open with the left (non dominate) eye squinted.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:52 AM

My dominate Eye is my left eye but I shoot a right handed bow and have my whole life. I defently have to close one eye or I would be all messed up. Good luck and good huntin'!
Old 09-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot with both eyes open. It is the way a pro will teach you. I am working on it, but still shoot with one eye.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Typical Buck

When shooting w/both eyes, you can focus on your target a lot better in low light conditions. Take your bow out in low light and try to look through your peep with one eye, then open both and you can tell a ton of difference.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Spike

I shoot with one eye closed. I'm left eye dominant but I shoot right handed. If both eyes are open then i'm not seeing the peep sight. Anyone else have this problem? I seem to do just fine, but i've noticed I shoot better with a patch on one eye then I do just trying to shut it and look out the other...
Old 09-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I keep one eye closed and do just fine. I've been trying to train myself to shoot with both eyes open, but I am far from confident. I generally see a double image, and the left one is right on. I have tried to shoot starting the draw cycle with both eyes open and have missed my mark by quite a distance. If I squint my left eye and open slowly while aiming, its better, but still not accurate enough for me. I'll keep working on it, but for hunting, I'll stick to one eye for now.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:29 AM

I keep both eyes open to help focus on the target. Just before I shoot I close my left eye. I have done this for years, and it seems to really help me.