Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Camo

Old 09-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Camo

Heres a pic of my new ghillie I just completed.
Basically I bought some heavy camo fabric from walmart - 8 yards - then cut them in to strips.
I folded the strips in half lengthwise and ironed a nice crease in them.
Then I folded them horizontally in half and sewed them to an extra pair of Army BDU Fatigues I had.
I was able to sew the back and front of the jacket as well as the sides and brim of the hat but I had to use fabric glue on the sleeves, legs, and very top of the hat.
The glue has a very low odor out of the bottle and none that I can detect when dry. It is very fast setting and strong.

This particular pattern is called Dark Tiger I think because it is a dark background with grey/green tiger striped patterns. With the verticle layout it very much resembles tree bark. I'll post a close up non hidden picture tonight if anyone is interested.

Old 09-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Camo

Another view but not a good close up detailed one.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:04 PM

Looks great! Have you shot your bow with it on yet? I've always wondered it the suit would get in the way and create a dangerous situation with the bow.

I just though about something. You are Mr. Do it yourself. I'm pretty impressed. First the pvc stand and now the ghillie suit. I wouldn't be suprised if you come to us next week and tell us about a stick bow you've made. I think it's great! Rock on.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Your boots are a dead giveaway.[8D]

Old 09-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice lookin' camo!
Old 09-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya the boots are a little obvious huh? lol I probably wouldn't want to wear tennis shoes in the woods.

This is ghillie version 2.0 - my first was made of burlap. It looked great and was nearly invisible in high grass but it stunk to high heaven and I could never get the scent of burlap out.

I have shot with this on yes, I left the inside of the arms very thin on purpose so the straps wouldn't get in the way of the string. It does take a little getting used to shooting with it on though.

Adams, I have been thinking of building my own traditional bow and arrows for some time now. It will be a great winter project for after the season ends. Right now I'm just doing research and trying to clean other projects off my plate.

Below is a more detailed picture of the camo pattern. I don't really have anyone to take my picture in the woods so I'll have to settle for my front yard

Old 09-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought some Wally world cammoed burlap to surround an old wooden tree stand (5 ft by 5ft) that was used in the past by gun hunters. What did you try to remove the scent? sounds like I made a bad purchase.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:32 PM

You had better shoot your bow in that suit before hunting season. So far it doesn't look like you can get to your anchor point with all that stuff around your face. My suits both required a lot of triming before I was able to shoot the bow without any interference. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've actually got my head down so my shiny white face doesn't ruin the effect. Its pretty wide open but I do plan to practice with it a lot.

I think the burlap would be fine as a blind, I just didn't want to smell like that all the time. I washed it in all the scent remover soaps i could find, baking soda, even some industrial strength carbon powder.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

I've actually got my head down so my shiny white face doesn't ruin the effect. Its pretty wide open but I do plan to practice with it a lot.

I think the burlap would be fine as a blind, I just didn't want to smell like that all the time. I washed it in all the scent remover soaps i could find, baking soda, even some industrial strength carbon powder.
WHAT!?!?!?! You mean those scent remover products are gimmicks?!?! I want my money back!

Quick Reply: New Camo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.