Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is the best salt block or attractant!!! >

what is the best salt block or attractant!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is the best salt block or attractant!!!

Old 09-03-2004, 10:39 AM

Default what is the best salt block or attractant!!!

Hi guys i put on my trail camera about 2 mths ago and just a few pics of some deer. I was wondering what does anyone recomend to attracked the deer in this area. They are around but they like the swamp a lot better than the high ground and i want them to come to the high ground more. any sugestions?

i was thinking of some salt blocks. Its to late to plant clover and there is also no room to plant it too many trees.

thanks for all your help

mo

Old 09-03-2004, 10:47 AM

Default RE: what is the best salt block or attractant!!!

Not to rain on your parade but you should check the state laws before you bait.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwpdf/dfwab04.pdf

Page 10 Prohibited

Baiting wild birds, bear or deer.

You may want to get a defination of bait from a CO. I'd get it in writing if they say salt isn't a bait.

Here's a link to state contacts if you're interested.

Great buck by the way. Did you arrow that beast in MA?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:20 AM

what is the best salt block to use?

Ya i arrowed that buck last year dressed out at 168 he was in full rut as you might be able to see. I was siting in my stand and it was 4:00 and the wind direction was point right where i wanted it to The Swamp. I said to my self all i need right now is a Big buck to come out of the swamp and head right for me. 30 sec later this guy starts walking in right from that direction. He was standing braudside at about 35 yards just looking around ready to beat some one up i pulled back and got ready to aim. Then i noticed he is coming closer. Now i couldnt shoot because of the thickness of the woods. my next shot was going to be a 5 YARD SHOT. That is the hardest shot to do because you have no side view on the deer when your 25 ft up. I still had the bow pulled back and i started to shake holding back 73#. so i bit the bullet and waited for him to step 2 more feet and he will be mine. I took the shot and he took off like a bull. i waited 30 min and couldnt wait any longer the sun was coming down really fast. i started following the blood and 60 yards later i see a nice rack sticking out of the saplings. It was getting dark when i found him by the time i cleaned him out and started pulling it was dark. It was imposible to drag that deer and hold my bow. So every 10 feet i would grab my bow put it down 10 feet away and drag intill i got tangled up in some saplings. I was so tired that i couldnt get it to my truck the last 50 yards there is a very very steep hill i had to call my brother to come and give me a hand and we both had a hard time getting it up.

mo
Old 09-03-2004, 11:31 AM

Here in KY we seem to have the best luck with the brown salt licks with the trace minerals. The brown ones get 10x the action of the plain white blocks!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:34 AM

what is the best salt block to use?
It dose not appear to be legal in Ma[:'(]
Old 09-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

from what I've seen it's a hands down victory for Deer Cocain!
Old 09-03-2004, 05:00 PM

I have used rock salt.Tie the end of a pants leg and fill it with rock salt,then tie the other end and hang it in a tree.When it rains the salt gets deposited on the ground and the deer tear it up!!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:03 PM

Well this is my first year to try Stump Likker and let me tell ya I wish I had tried it long time ago. It took about 7 days before they started using it and now they are tearing the ground up. I also use Deer Frenzy and its just now getting visits. This my first to use it also. But men. blocks and Stump Likker are # 10 for me
Old 09-03-2004, 09:13 PM

buck grub works for me.......

www.buckgrub.com deer tracks all over the place
Old 09-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buck Grub works for me as well.

Quick Reply: what is the best salt block or attractant!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.