Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is the best salt block or attractant!!! >

what is the best salt block or attractant!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is the best salt block or attractant!!!

Old 09-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what is the best salt block or attractant!!!

salt only works in the spring and summer for me. ive tried it all from deer cocaine to black magic mineral dust in the bag. i just retrieved a camera from a red trace brick mineral lick with not even a hit after 2 weeks. i say corn and molasses works during the hunting season but i put the cameras away before the opener. i think the companies that push this stuff dont know the real life uses for a deer . i even asked a guy who has pen raised deer and he said spring into summer is about the only time a deer will rip up a lick. i say try something and then decide for yourself. there are too many snake oil slaesmen out there[:'(]
Old 09-06-2004, 07:08 AM

What I use is trace mineral salt, Finestock, and calcium phosphate, just mix it 3parts salt, 3 parts salt, and 1 part phosphate. Dig yourself a hole 1 and 1/2 foot deep and 1 and 1/2 foot around. mix the ingredients with the dirt from the hole and place everything back in the hole. I put mine no more than 5 yards off of a trail. I got this off of the buckmasters site. I can assure you that it works, last year I shot a buck and 2 does and all 3 had their heads in the hole when they got the arrow. Hope this helps. ONEMRED
Old 09-07-2004, 09:49 AM

mineral salt, Finestock, and calcium phosphate, just mix it 3parts salt, 3 parts salt, and 1 part phosphate. Dig yourself a hole 1 and 1/2 foot deep and 1 and 1/2 foot around. mix the ingredients

how much of each do you use? in that size hole? and where did you buy all the stuff what is the diff between parts salt and salt?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:20 AM

It's not legal in MA. Mo Delle of Dedham MA.

You should be careful of what you post on the internet. You never know who's lerking here.
I found a great site should you get caught http://www.mass.gov/doc/
Old 09-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not legal in MA
Funny he just doesn't seem to catch on.[:@] I noticed you mentioned this to him right away too. Sure am glad he's not on my team. Seems to me he will be having his license revoked.[]
Old 09-07-2004, 10:28 AM

Blatant disreguard of game laws reflects poorly upon all hunters. I hope the book catches you square in the.....
Old 09-07-2004, 10:28 AM

on my team. Seems to me
i hunt in maine guys.....
Old 09-07-2004, 10:42 AM

i hunt in maine guys.....
Great, Maine is my expertise

• Baiting deer by placing salt or any other bait or food to entice deer or hunting from an observation stand or blind overlooking salt, grain, fruit, nuts or other foods known to be attractive to deer, during any open hunting season on deer is prohibited. (Does not apply to hunting from an observation stand or blind overlooking: standing crops; foods that have been left as a result of normal agricultural operations or as a result of natural occurrence; or bear bait that has been placed at a bear hunting stand or blind in accordance with bear baiting laws

Or read it for yourself
http://www.state.me.us/ifw/hunttrap/...G%20PROVISIONS
It's about 1/5 of the way down the page just under "deer hunting information"

I'm not trying to be a jerk but poaching is poaching and baiting deer in Maine and Mass would fall under that title. If you want to bait you can hunt in New Hampshire as long as bait is places after September 1.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:51 AM

prohibited. (Does not apply to hunting from
ok i thought you could have salt licks up intill 2 weeks before the season started. my fault. thanks for the news i guess i dont need to know what brings deer in since i cant use it. I wanted to try somthing new this year but i guess the laws do not allow it. thanks adams.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:24 AM

Laws vary from state to state as do definations of bait. The wardens in Maine (and everywhere else) go by the book and they leave no room for interpretation.

Not baiting is a smart idea