Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What are you going to do different this year? >

What are you going to do different this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are you going to do different this year?

Old 09-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are you going to do different this year?

Me? Not take a shot at the medium bodied 6pt the first 15 minutes of the season on stand. I'll wait for the bigger deer this year. In fact, I find that my patience is leading me this season to only trophy hunt. Which is unusual for me. Usually I put venison in the freezer right away.

This year I will also not hunt over bait. Never tried it in 23 years of hunting. Am going to go "all-naturel".

Any good advice on what not to do, what you are going to try new this year, or just plain old good advice....?
Old 09-02-2004, 11:44 AM

Default RE: What are you going to do different this year?

Having a better understanding of how to manage a herd, I am going to shoot as many does as I possibly can off of our farm. Trying, of course, to better balance the herd. we are pretty lucky in this state, we can buy an unlimited number of antlerless tags.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not going to get skunked this year. How's that? [8D]

I know where there is a nice 8 pointer and if I have to sleep out in the woods in a sleeping bag or sleep in my tree stand, so be it. That deer is MINE!

Butch A.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not going to be sitting at the end of this season telling myself I shouldn't have let "that one" walk.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:00 PM

This year it's about mobility. I want to be versitile and use my climber more.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

i have three goals for this year.
1. on MY property, i plan on managing the heard MUCH better than i have the last few years. i finally took a log of all the deer that i have seen and pretty know how many deer are walking around on it. i know i have two 14 pointers and a monster that the camera has not goten yet because he is nocturnal.
2. i want to take a bigger buck than last year. 178" just doesnt cut it any more.
3. i want to try to pick up more private hunting land that i can share with my buddys!

speaking OF Adams when are you gonna drive out to Illinois and hunt with me?
Old 09-02-2004, 12:26 PM

I'm going to hunt some of the good looking draws and try to get up a tree. How do you guys deal with trees that aren't straight? There isn't a single straight tree on my lease in south Texas.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Kill a deer
Old 09-02-2004, 12:36 PM

I'm going to ground hunt more, especially in some thick brush and saplings where I saw a very nice mature buck walk into last year. I may see fewer deer, but I really believe the big boys are in this thick stuff that has three separate escape routes. I'll set up on those routes, on the ground since there are no good trees to use nearby, and bide my time. I'm hoping that sooner or later he'll make a mistake.

Oh, and I'm gonna try still hunting in standing corn as well, especially early in the season, which starts on Sept 15th.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kill a deer
That's my plan for the year. Actually we are earn-a-buck so I will be shooting a doe first weekend (keeping fingers crossed). Then looking for the big boys. I passed up several small bucks last year for the first time and I think that is going to pay off this year.

Quick Reply: What are you going to do different this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.