Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 just a quick survey. >

just a quick survey.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

just a quick survey.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:19 AM

Default just a quick survey.

Just wondering how many people keep hunting and scouting logs. Also would like to know what people put in theirs and who knows of any good log examples to get off the net.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: just a quick survey.

I always say that I'm going to but I never do. Maybe this year.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

logging is a great way to manage deer!

here is what i do. try to get pictures of all the deer when your scouting. make notes of markings and put a # or name to the does and bucks... also make marking of when you see the does with fawns. its hard to catalog the fawns with identifiable marks untill they are older, but hey. if you can find some dropped antlers and try to see if you can find out which buck dropped em form your pictures. i try to get pictures of all the deer on my property at least three times a year. compares how fast they grow, and which ones i will want to hunt for to manage the property with... also helps keep a close eye on herd population in yoru area.. i know this year since 1 acre can support maybe one deer i iwll be having some friends over to take a few deer off the land this year to reduce the size of teh heard.

as far as type of catalogging or what not i just use a sprread sheet that has the does, or bucks # or name, what the date is what time it is where on the property it was found, size of teh deer approximate i have three sizes, small medium and large, and occasionaly extra large! but you might want a small map of the property i try to have somwhat of an accurate map showing the fields and what not. and what ever else that yoru interested in. i put a section for notes to say if the deer look injured or if they are gettting scragely. this helps me know if the herd is getting to big. i like to keep about a 8-1 or 10-1 ratio of does to bucks on the property at any given time.
My system is NOT paper friendly so im thinking aout a way to keep it all on computer soon...

if you come up or have any ideas about other ways let me know.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:40 AM

Nope, never kept a log, don't see any need to. Haven't changed my approach to deer hunting in 40 years.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:49 AM

I've started to keep better record. I bought a 500 even trail timer and made spread sheets so I can log each event. I've printed aerial photos and topos of my hunting locations and marked the funnels, major food, major runs, bedding and I'm planning to log my hunts as well this fall. I don't know I'll benefit from it but it'll give something else to fule my addiction over the off season.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did a sheet up in MS Word. I just print it off and fill one out each day. If anyone is interested in it just drop me an email at [email protected] and I will email you the word doc.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

i do.......
Old 09-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I keep a general log. I really need to start getting some more detailed information though.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:22 PM

Nope,i really do need to though,i can never seem to remember when and where i last saw that same buck.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

We kept a basic 1 last year. Maybe this year I'll get serious.

Quick Reply: just a quick survey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.