Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 3/4 inch groups ? >

3/4 inch groups ?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3/4 inch groups ?

Old 09-01-2004, 02:01 PM

Default RE: 3/4 inch groups ?

KimberRuger,Listen to basically what everyone is talking about.Practice,form,and more practice,and you'll get there.To tell you the truth,I really hate shooting dots,can't shoot them worth a damn.But,on the 3-D,or if it's got hair and a heartbeat,it's a different story.
As far as these 3/4in groups at 20-30-40yds,well,lets just say I shoot with alot of very good shooters,and SEEING is believing...Bob
Old 09-01-2004, 02:07 PM

Practice, practice, practice.....you will always shoot tighter groups the closer you get. But at 40 yards if your still shooting at least lung shots (ie. shots that are at most 2" from center I wouldn't worry a ton. The more you practice at that range the better you'll get. Also, I have a question...When your aiming at 40 yards does it seem like you can't keep the pin on the center of the target? If so it's common the target gets smaller so the pin seems to float more. Don't be freaked out by it just take time and relax during the shot. You'll be shootin 10's in no time. Then if your like me you'll get pissed if you don't shoot a 1/4" group at 40. [:@]
Old 09-01-2004, 03:09 PM

Dont complain, when you start shooting 1/2" and 3/4" groups it gets expensive.You will start busting nocks and splitting arrows.3" group is good unless your shooting 3d and sometimes that can get unrealistic.Ive never even heard of a 3' tall frog...
Old 09-01-2004, 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: trestand

KimberRuger,Listen to basically what everyone is talking about.Practice,form,and more practice,and you'll get there.To tell you the truth,I really hate shooting dots,can't shoot them worth a damn.But,on the 3-D,or if it's got hair and a heartbeat,it's a different story.
As far as these 3/4in groups at 20-30-40yds,well,lets just say I shoot with alot of very good shooters,and SEEING is believing...Bob
Bob, has pretty much hit the nail on the head here. SEEING is believing, it never ceases to amaze me how many Robin Hood's are on the web. I shoot in the top three in both and unmarked and marked yardage 3D venue and follow one simple rule; 1" per 10 yards. Now on to some more important info that will help you get better, some things just make shooting a bow easier. 1) string loop. 2) You have a round peep so get a round sight and center the sight not the pins. 3) New strings, most top shooters use custom strings for a reason (consistency). 4) Carbon arrows, nothing wrong with aluminum but they do bend over time. 5) Bets rest you can afford (MZE, Trophy taker, Drop zone to name a few) for someone pretty new I recommend the MZE. Bullet proof and not hard to set up by most good pro shops. 6) Release. Everyone has a preference, but a high end Scott release is hard to beat. After you get comfortable with a set up similar to what I've described, start shooting some of the newer bows and when it is time to upgrade you've got a head start, or wait and pick up a good used used one after this season is over. Good luck and buy some broadheads and get in your stand and shoot a big one.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:47 PM

Practice as much as you can. Concentrate on every shot and make sure you hold the follow threw. Alot of times when i miss its because of that which causes a slight jerk so i miss the mark by a couple inches. That was my big problem and still is come every june when i break the ol bow out. Practice and concentrate on the shot. One thing which helps me is shooting at very little targets. I like to shoot at golf tees stuck in my target. I concentrate more on the lil things. Aim small miss small. Always pick a spot on a deer to concentrate on and make it small and you wont have any worries.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some sets of arrows are not capable of groups smaller than 3" at 30yards , or even 15 yards , spothog did a test with a dozen arrows they thought were good and they groupd a socerball sized group at twent yards , and thats out of a machine . With time and practice and alot more practice , and good arrows , proper bow fit , groups like what Roland have sugested are very good , for an acomplised archer , 1 inch per 10 yards , or 3" at 30 yards is dead on .
Old 09-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

vitals on a deer are 8 inches so hunt with confidence. Also do you have a kisser button to ensure that your anchor point is not floating? As already said do not grab the bow.

Just my 2 pennies

Jim
Old 09-02-2004, 07:29 AM

Don't be alarmed! if you went and watched these 3/4 inch group shooters you would find out they are not repeatable. In other words they might do it once and for some reason get it in their head they are doing it all of the time. NOT. If they were, they would be pro class by now.. Just put a 3/4 inch dot on the target and watch for all arrows to be in the dot. Won't happen all that often. If they could do it regular at 20 yards they could go to Vagas and shoot a clean round (300). Well I don't see them there so the 3/4 inch group thing is usually a figment of their imgination.

Your grouping sounds good to me, I can only wish that all my arrows are in a 3.5 inch circle at 35 yards. In fact only some are and some are not.

Consistant form and consistant executation of the shot routine is condusive to accuracy.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Practice will do it for you. Those erratic fliers are just reminders that you aren't perfect. The more you practice the tighter your groups will get.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:19 AM

I haven't shot a set of arrows that were that bad yet. And that includes cheap carbons and bent aluminums. Heck I can take the nocks off arrows sometimes with severly underspined arrows. Of course I am talking about target points, not fixed heads. That's a different story.

I think someone was trying to sell thier arrows. Soccor ball sized groups out of a shooting machine seems a bit hard to believe, unless it was at some extreme yardarge or something.

Paul

Quick Reply: 3/4 inch groups ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.