Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference? >

Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

Old 08-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

I shave my head (even tho I'm not close to going bald naturaly). So I have to start letting it grow because I desperately need to use aftershave when I shave it.

So I let it grow and maybe shave it during the week if I'm only hunting weekends. That said I have a cap with carbon stuff sprayed on it and am washed myself in an earthscent shampoo/body wash.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:00 PM

I keep mine short all year. Im lazy, Ill admit it. I use the #1 blade and shave it once a month. The only drawback is I work outdoors and it gets mighty cold in the winter.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I keep the hair and beard short for the season. I keep my hair cut short all year, and grow out a beard for the season....I keep it all short though. Scent eliminating shampoo/body washed is used every morning from the middle of Sept(our bow season starts in Oct) to the end of December. I also us scent free deodorant for hat time period as well.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:01 PM

Well, you guys have all the advantage here. Women with crew cuts or bare scalps just don't look very attractive. My hair is down to my waist so I was it with scent away shampoo, pony-tail it, and put it under my hat/mask. And of course I use scent-free soap, wash the clothes with scent away, and spray home-brewed scent killer on everything else. Last year was the first season that I did all this and I had does and small bucks walk right by me... I hunt on the ground...
Old 08-30-2004, 07:24 PM

Red hair and deer season don't mix. I cut mine down real short.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

DoubleCreek, your post put a smile on my face, I like your attitude!

Myself I wash my whole body, hair included in the earth scented anti-bacterial bar soap.
Works for me, kinda smell like dirt though
Old 08-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

I wash head to toe in Ivory unscented hand soap. That's about it. I do buy the unscented "hunting" deoderant.

I use car wash soap to wash all cloths I wear hunting and wash them everytime I come back to the house. I have enough camo to put on something fresh every time I leave the house. Everything I wear hunting is hanging outside on the front porch as soon as it comes out of the drier.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:43 AM

I too cut my hair short for deer season (much to my wife's chagrin). HOWEVER, IMHO, it is MUCH more important to keep your armpits shaved. Hair under the armpits is the perfect breeding place for the bacteria that causes BO. You will have less BO and it will take longer to form if your pits are shaved. I also switch to non-scented soap, shampoo, and deodorant at least two weeks before the season starts. It takes that long for your body to totally eliminate the perfumes from scented products - especially in the armpit area.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Scent control was really driving me crazy too. I hunt in hilly terrain where the wind is swirling all the time. It's very hard to hunt the wind, so scent control is a big part of hunting, but you can go broke and it takes the fun out of it. I keep my hair short & wash with scent free soap. Arm & Hammer make a baking soda deorderant and & wash my clothes every time I get home in baking soda. Seems to work for me.

This year I'm going to add the homemade vanilla and acorn cover scent recipe that was on an earlier post.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Olink, you've gone too far bud.

Quick Reply: Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.