Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference? >

Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

Old 08-30-2004, 07:07 AM

Default Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

Well, in the past I've always grown out my hair and donned some extra facial hair durring hunting season in an effort to keep some warmth, but the more I read about scent control the more I believe ths is the wrong way to go about it. Virtually every piece I've read about human oder says the majority of human scent comes from our hair. Plain and simple our hair is dirty and a sponge for the scent we try to eliminate.

So Saturday morning I did the deed. I shaved all the hair from my head and I planned to keep it shaved through the end of bow season in mid December. I optimistic that this will help to keep scent down as well as speeding up my pre hunt routine. Now I don't have to worry about wet hair or drying my hair before early morning hunts.

So this question comes out of curiousity.

Do you
A) leave you hair "normal"
B) grow out your hair
C) get rid of it all
D) other: please explaine
Old 08-30-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

Welcome to the club Adams! I've been shaving my head for 2 years now. I started it for scent reduction but soon came to enjoy the simplicity of not having to worry about hair. Save a few hundered bucks a year on haircuts since I do it myself too.
I think you'll enjoy it.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Genetics has taken care of half the hair on my head anyway.[8D]

I don't shave my dome, but what hair I do gots left, I keep it cropped close. I generally grow a short beard for hunting season too. Built-in camo. Past few years, though, it's been turning into graybark camo. [:-]
Old 08-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Spike

keep it short and use scent control soap and shampoo
Old 08-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Genetics has taken care of half the hair on my head anyway.[8D]
LOL, well I'm in the same boat! Not quite half the hair but I'm well on my way. Family get togethers remind me of what I have to look forward to.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:44 AM

I've struggled with this for awhile myself adams. Wanting to take scent control to the next level. Hardcore, clothes, sprays, shaving etc. However, I have come to my own conclusions based on the environment in which I hunt, the methods I hunt, etc. Based on years of frustrations trying to remain scent free, I have authored the followed slogan:

"Forget the sh!t, just hunt!!"

Striving to stay scent free can be exhausting and it can sap the fun out of it. For me, I say screw being scent free until it gets cold. Here in MS, that may not be until December. Once it is cool enough for me to actually climb a tree without sweating like a mule, I will begin my scent free rituals, until, then it is a waste of time.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:44 AM

I don't change anything about my hair. I tried using some of that Stealth dust on my head one time. Man, talk about itching!! I'll never do that again.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

I'm with Hazcon on this one. I shave my head with the 1/8" comb all year now. I started cutting it myself four years ago around September for bow season. It feels so good to let your scalp breath man! I now have to wear two hats on the cold days but its worth it to me. No need to make apointments then drive somewhere to have it cut. It saves money, the annoyance of running to town and I throw the trimmings around my buddies stand! Just kidding about that part.

Just think, I would have bought the flow-bee if they had it in stock!

Edit: Adams, congrats on the new dew! Did you go all the way or did you leave a 1/4" of hair? You know your a red neck when you shave your own head Did you use your broad heads or did you buy an electric buzzer? I upgraded from the pet shears my dad used for the dogs a couple years back
Old 08-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wash it with scent away and cover with a soaked scent away huntin cap
Old 08-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

I don't shave my head,but keep it buzzed off short military style.

Quick Reply: Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.