Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference? >

Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

Old 09-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scent control, your hair and bow season. What's you preference?

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

Olink, you've gone too far bud.
LOL, that is pretty extreme.

I'm just the opposite of these guys, I usually look like I've been living in the "bushes" by the time I go in for my spring "cut".

One year I did take those chlorophyl pills they have at the pharmacy for people with a colostomy though, LOL. Never got me any compliments on the improvement though.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Spike

I have used stealth dust and it works nothings fool proof but from my experience I have had many deer come from down wind and not even spook.there are other ways to make scent destroyers and the stealth dust is not just baking soda maybe some is added it could be bentonite clay powder or arrowroot powder not sure the colors of the two these two powders do absorb odors and moisture zeolite powder is something to think about as well.I wish I could find some stealth dust but hard to locate.this would be my option if not successful with stealth dust probably any of the three mentioned would work with baking soda I thought about adding a very small amount of activated carbon to the mix I have some from carbon synergy but found it to be a bit messy if anyone reads my reply to this post let me know what y'all think thanks
Old 12-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Spike

Here's what has worked for me over the years. Yes I keep my hair short don't get dressed until I get to the land, shampoo, sprays etc.. I started to think outside the box a little about 13 years ago. I have shot 3 pope & young and 1 Booner in that time. I put really sweaty clothes in my stands so the deer get use to my scent with no danger to them at that time. I continue to do so all summer. I want them to know my scent and not associate me with danger. I walk all the property with shoes so scent is dispersed liberally all summer, then when hunting season comes I diminish it as much as possible. It works, they don't just leave the area because they smell me. It's the smelling nothing to smelling something in an instant that alerts them.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:53 AM
Spike

I don't go as far as to shave my head, but I do make sure that it isn't any longer than it needs to be during hunting season.

My personal opinion is that with all the scent blocking / eliminating options out there, you can eliminate your scent quite easily. I spray my head down with scent killer spray before every hunt, and then wear a scent blocking head mask (I use Under Armor) under my hat. Haven't been busted in over 10 years!
Old 12-13-2017, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

you guys did good bringing back a post more than 13 yrs old.. still a good topic .. I tell ya what works for me is to build a little fire before going out and smoke yourself head to toe .. to sum it up i'd say---before I started this I rarely saw a deer that didn't end up busting me .. now - I rarely get busted and I see so many relaxed deer ...after 45+ yrs of hunting and living on hunting land for over 28 yrs.. take this advise.. good hunting
Old 12-13-2017, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gerald Garrou
Here's what has worked for me over the years. Yes I keep my hair short don't get dressed until I get to the land, shampoo, sprays etc.. I started to think outside the box a little about 13 years ago. I have shot 3 pope & young and 1 Booner in that time. I put really sweaty clothes in my stands so the deer get use to my scent with no danger to them at that time. I continue to do so all summer. I want them to know my scent and not associate me with danger. I walk all the property with shoes so scent is dispersed liberally all summer, then when hunting season comes I diminish it as much as possible. It works, they don't just leave the area because they smell me. It's the smelling nothing to smelling something in an instant that alerts them.
Interesting concept. Are your harvests with a firearm or archery equipment ??
Old 12-16-2017, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Double Creek
I've struggled with this for awhile myself adams. Wanting to take scent control to the next level. Hardcore, clothes, sprays, shaving etc. However, I have come to my own conclusions based on the environment in which I hunt, the methods I hunt, etc. Based on years of frustrations trying to remain scent free, I have authored the followed slogan:

"Forget the sh!t, just hunt!!"

Striving to stay scent free can be exhausting and it can sap the fun out of it. For me, I say screw being scent free until it gets cold. Here in MS, that may not be until December. Once it is cool enough for me to actually climb a tree without sweating like a mule, I will begin my scent free rituals, until, then it is a waste of time.
X2.....................