Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadheads hitting to the right >

Broadheads hitting to the right

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads hitting to the right

Old 08-29-2004, 07:40 PM

Default Broadheads hitting to the right

I have paper tuned my bow with field points and have it ripping bullet holes. I started practicing with my muzzys and Im hitting about 5 inches to the right. My question is there a tuning problem I have overlooked, or should I adjust my sight and move on.
Thanks Sharkey
Old 08-29-2004, 10:04 PM

Default RE: Broadheads hitting to the right

Your looking at it all wrong, your field tips are hitting to the left.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:22 PM

It is possible that your shaft spine was borderline and now the broadheads have handed you a weak spine issue.

I am assuming that your arrows are leaving your rest "tail left" and the tip to the right, causing your arrows to impact to the right.

If correct:

1. Decrease draw-weight.... OR
2. Decrease broadhead weight (could have additional problems if not enough weight up front)....OR
3. If using 4" or less fletch/vane, increase to 5" for better stabilizing. Also, larger fletch/vane will tend to stiffen spine.

Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2004, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

read this it may help.
http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html
Old 08-30-2004, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am shooting 5575 gold tips and my bow is set at 65 pounds, I think the spine should be ok, according to gold tips site they are fine. My field points and broadheads are both 100 grain. They are fletched with 4 inch vane 6 degree helical.
I have a couple more weeks to get everything right. Wish me luck.
Sharkey
Old 08-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need to spin test them and make sure that your arrows are spinning true. I've got a couple of Eastons that aren't straight enough to shoot my Muzzy's.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:24 AM

Go with gutshots reply,spintesting is a start.Sometimes your inserts fit loosely and are not perfectly aligned causing your heads to canter,its not noticable with field points.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:52 PM

Are you shooting fast? Sometimes, if you shoot too fast, the spin on the arrow (especially with 6 degree helical) will dramatically increase. If this is the case, try using expandable broadheads. Just a thought.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:51 PM

I had a similar problem. Spin test your arrows with the broad head that you intend to have mated to it. Once that is a go, start looking at how your broad heads are grouping. If they are grouping together and you are sure your spine is good and that your bow is tuned it may very well be your form. When I get tired, my broad heads hit about 3 inches low at 20 yards because I tend to drop my bow a little on the release when I am tired. I was shooting bullet holes in paper too when I paper tuned, so concentrate on form, really think about holding that right arm as solid as possible and keeping your wrist straight. I too have a couple of arrows that I cannot shoot Muzzy broad heads with, but that is why you spin them all and try them out before hand. Then number your best shooting arrows so you know which one to pull out when the moment of truth comes.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:58 PM

The broadheads are grouping well, so I guess I will just adjust my sights and go on.

Quick Reply: Broadheads hitting to the right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.