HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   STRING LOOP OR STRAIGHT OFF THE STRING? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/70700-string-loop-straight-off-string.html)

shishkabob 08-28-2004 08:57 PM

STRING LOOP OR STRAIGHT OFF THE STRING?

How do you prefer,string loops or shooting straight off the string?What are the advantages or disadvantages?

Matt / PA 08-28-2004 09:03 PM

RE: STRING LOOP OR STRAIGHT OFF THE STRING?

String loop........always and forever.:)

With a string loop, you get zero string torque (unless your doing something really wrong), a more direct line of pull behind the arrow (helps with nock travel), no nock pinch, no serving wear, more consistency and a cleaner release. They are generally lighter than most off the string nock set ups........and with many of today's string loop specific releases you don't have to give up any draw length to maintain a proper anchor.

Other than that I see no advantages over shooting off the string.;)

shishkabob 08-28-2004 09:04 PM

Wow, i made spike with this post.Does this mean someone will actually reply now?

SW Iowa Hunter 08-28-2004 09:26 PM

Have done both but like the loop much better.

Carwi 08-29-2004 07:34 AM

I've tried both and have to say I can't tell any difference with my groups using a loop or off the string. I have changed back to shooting off the string because it "feels" better to me. I also gained a bit more speed going to a tied on nock set. (Not that it really matters.)

JeramyK 08-29-2004 08:23 AM

I've tried both setups on my Patriot. I still favor shooting off the string though. I think if I had a smaller release maybe I'd be more comfortable with a loop. I shoot a Scott Mongoose which has larger jaw than some of the other releases I've seen.

Stump_MN_Hunter 08-29-2004 09:10 AM

Shot a loop and then went to shooting off the string. I wouldn't go back to shooting a loop.

Paul L Mohr 08-29-2004 10:29 AM

I have shot both, including the metal Ultra Nock. I shoot of the string most of the time. For one I have a very short draw any way, like 25.5-26 inches. I don't want to give up the extra length caused by using a string loop, I don't care if it is only 1/2 an inch. I like the way the bow anchors to my face without the string loop. It's easier for me to get the proper relationship from face to the string without the loop. I shoot a 30 inch axle to axle bow now though, that makes a difference to me. My darton still has a string loop on, but it's axle to axle is a hair over 35 inches.

If I were to set up a bow to stricty target shoot with, I would most likely go with a string loop. Other wise I just shoot off the string. Like said above, I can't tell a difference in accuracy. I also use a fletch hunter 3-D release. It has a larger radius where it holds the string to cut down on serving wear.

Paul

WVCritter 08-29-2004 10:42 AM

I think the string loop is the best. I used to shoot off the string until I tied on a loop. It's a no brainer for me.

thundermug 08-29-2004 10:45 AM

I shoot off the string. Here is why....I use a tru-fire crackshot release, which is a handheld release not a wrist strap type. The "jaws" of the release are between my index and big finger right under my knuckles. The "jaws on my type of release are not the type to use with a string loop....it only has a round rod that holds the string and is very difficult to attach to a string loop. I would have to change the release to a wrist strap type that puts the jaws near the end of my outstretched fingers and would result in a 2" shorter draw length. No way am I prepared to lose that much speed, kenetic energy, and whatever else I would lose.