HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Will an UNTUNED bow Robinhood an Arrow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/70347-will-untuned-bow-robinhood-arrow.html)

Mathewsboy 08-25-2004 07:31 PM

Will an UNTUNED bow Robinhood an Arrow?

I messed with my rest last night and moved stuff around and when I shot my bow today i thot my arrows were fishtailing.. My buddy said they were flying like bullets..

I shoot 3 helical Chartruse(sp) feathers, so i can see them well.. Before I messed with it, I didnt see any fishtailing..

When He shot MY bow, i watched and it looked like bullets...

I shot groups from 13 yards and they were constantly hitting each other and i robin hooded one..

Is my bow tuned fairly well..??? or is it too soon to tell?

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-25-2004 08:21 PM

RE: Will an UNTUNED bow Robinhood an Arrow?

You can robin hood an arrow with an untuned bow however one thing I've learned over many years of instruction and shooting myself is that you usually can not watch your own arrows and tell how they are flying, especially if you have offset colors in your fletch...usually the off colored fletch will throw off your eye when standing behind the shot....it usually takes a friend standing just off your shoulder to see it as in your case.

bow4life 08-25-2004 08:56 PM

I remember reading that early in his career, Terry Ragsdale shot a perfect or near perfect Vegas round to win. His arrows were porpoising wildly. When shot through paper afterward, he had a six inch high tear. If shot the same way each time apparently the bow will repeat.

c903 08-26-2004 02:03 AM

Considering that a "Robin Hood" is generally nothing more than pure happenstance, it (Robin Hood) cannot be an indicator that the bow is well tuned and that the shooter is related to Robin Hood.

nub 08-26-2004 08:30 AM

I guess I'm the opposite of Rob/Pa. I always see perfect flight when I stand to the side and watch a friends arrow flight. I have to be the shooter to see imperfections. You'll see flight problems as the arrow passes through your line of sight.

Paul L Mohr 08-26-2004 08:34 AM

Contrary to what most think bow tuning does not effect how accurate a particular bow is. Put one in a shooting machine and it will stack arrows on top of each other all day long if they are matched arrows. Tuning a bow can make it more forgiving however of form flaws that a shooter may have. Usually you are tuning the bow to you and the way you shoot. That's why you can't really have some one else fine tune your bow. They can do the initial set up however and usually be very close.

The book "Idiot Proof Archery" goes into detail about tuning myths and what actually effects what. Bob ragsdale also has his own web site if you care to look it over.

http://www.bowhunting.net/bobragsdale/ragsdale.html

The book quotes a few instances where they have had top archers attend the class (the book is a bit on the product placement side of things, but if you can look past that it's a good read) and when looking over thier bows have found them to be grossly missadjusted. Yet they were shooting near perfect scores? One case was where this lady had a two cam bow that was so out of time it had two valleys several inches apart. She never knew it because she didn't draw the bow that far to notice it.

That doesn't however mean someone should give up on the idea of tuning and it is worthless. It just drives home the theory that the archer is more important than the equipment. And keep in mind this is target related stuff. It's not overly hard to get a target arrow with adequate fletchings to fly well at 20 or 30 yards. Screw a broad head on and it's a whole new ball game! Tuning all of a sudden becomes more important.

I agree with the above, most robin hoods are just accidents in the first place. So of course you could do it with an out of tune bow. It's still pretty cool to see though isn't it.

Paul

adams 08-26-2004 08:46 AM

I also think a robinhood could be shot out of an untuned bow. Basically a robinhood just means the POI (point of impact) happens to be the same. If shot from an untuned bow at the same distance (assuming same form and anchors are being used) the arrow flight should be relatively the same, making a robinhood no more or less likely then if shot from a well tuned bow.

I do think it is very unlikely that this could be done with arrows shot from 2 diffrent distance.

fitpays 08-26-2004 12:49 PM

what distance should constitute a robin hood? a previous post talked about one from 17 yards. i shoot from no less than 20 and i am wondering what distance would be the norm.

c903 08-26-2004 04:57 PM

Distance has nothing to do with the phenomenon.

I call the incident a "stack" and damage, and I am not the least bit elated. I spend a lot of time setting up my shafts, from cutting to shooting. It aggravates me just to clip a shaft or cut a fletch. Not to mention waste of money. That (avoidance) is why I will only shoot 3 shaft rounds into one spot.