Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do ATV's bother deer where they aren't used often? >

Do ATV's bother deer where they aren't used often?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do ATV's bother deer where they aren't used often?

Old 08-25-2004, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Do ATV's bother deer where they aren't used often?

I need to get an ATV, but don't want to go to my stands using one if it will spook deer. They aren't often used in my area, especially before light. Also, all of my stands are within a 15 minute walk. Any suggestions? I was thinking of using them only at night to pick up people and or pick up deer, and during the offseason to carry stuff into and out of the woods. What are your thoughts?
Old 08-25-2004, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do ATV's bother deer where they aren't used often?

I use my quad to drive about 200 yds from my tree stand.
Many times I have seen deer while on it during scouting. The only times I have seen them spooked by the atv is if I stop to look at them. If I keep going at a slow pace they seem to just stand and stare until I'm out of view.
I wouldnt use it to get to close to trails that I hunt because Im sure they give off an odor even though I cover mine with waterproof camo tarp that was sewn into a cover for it.

Here is a pic from a doe I shot to fill one of my tags.
After the shot I drive closer to the downed animal and the quad sure beats dragging the 3/4 mile to my house.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

ATV's do bother deer. I know there are a bunch of stories of guys seeing deer while on ATVs, but sitting in the stand as an ATV approaches an area, you see a lot of deer movement away from the sound.

My theory is for every deer a person on a ATV sees, they scared 4 others. And no I don't own an ATV but will someday. The neighbors have one that I use to take stands and ect. into the trees in the summer. They are handy but like cars, they scare critters in the woods.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:36 AM

Seems that when i'd take mine to bait, it was like ringing a dinner bell. As soon as the deer heard the engine, they seemed to associate the sound with food. Similarly, at our camp, when we turn the generator on, the same thing happens. I'm sure this doesnt ring true for mature deer, but I found it kind of interesting. Kinda like pavlov's dog.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:53 AM

IMO, the ATV is the worst thing you can use on a small hunting area. you will run all your deer out before you even get to your tree. If you hunt large enough areas where you can still leave it half a mile from your stand, you will be ok. But if you hunting a few hundred acres, buy a golf cart.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ATV'S?????????????????????/ You fella's couldnt hack it were i hunt! I have to drag mine out, been doing it since i was a kid.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:05 PM

I hunt in Colorado for mule deer and elk. We have two guys who drive atv's to their stands. Niether has been succesful the last three years. Over the same time period the other two of us have one cow, four bulls, three bucks and five does. The two of us spot/stalk as oppossed to sitting like our atv buddies and this might be why we have been more successful. But the noise and smell can't help.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:38 AM

Deer relate most in life to predation. I think it just depends on whether or not they associate an ATV with danger. One are I hunt, which a managed hunt, draw only, is used by hikers and such all year long. The deer, I believe, don't see humans as danger as people are in the area almost all the time. like Legacy said, and in his case, the deer relate the ATV to food, and it doesn't spook them at all.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

I feel like they certainly do scare deer out of an area. Recently, as of the last two weeks I started scouting a new area on public land. I walked a trail for around 2 miles. Saw one deer track the whole way. However, lots of ATV tracks. Seems, although illegal, some moron on an ATV goes through this area on a very consistent basis. All other areas show lots of movement....and there are no atv tracks throught there.

I think you have the right idea. Use it the off season to bring gear in and out. Use it to pick up deer and I'd say that's it. I think it's o.k to go threw there occasionally for a joy ride, but I believe if you do it a lot it will scare off the deer.

J
Old 08-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

I think it depends alot on where you hunt. Where I hunt is alot of farm land. It seems the deer get used to all of the different equipment in the feilds. There isn't many farmers now days that don't use a 4 wheeler. I'm not saying I would drive right to my stand with it to hunt.But around here I don't feel it bothers deer severly. I even use it to make trails in the long grass by my stands and I see plenty of deer. They like to use the 4 wheeler trails and why wouldn't they its alot easyer walking in the man made trail.

Quick Reply: Do ATV's bother deer where they aren't used often?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.