Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Straight or Helical Fletchings???? >

Straight or Helical Fletchings????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Straight or Helical Fletchings????

Old 08-25-2004, 05:48 AM

Default Straight or Helical Fletchings????

I just bought an Arizona EZ Fletch and realized that it is a straight fletcher. Do you think this will be a problem when i shoot broadheads? How many of you shoot straight fletchings? I found a right helical EZ fletch and I am thinking about buying it, but I hate to throw that 47 dollars away. What do you think?

Also, for those of you that have the Arizona EZ fletch, believe there are 2 different models, one is supposed to be better for carbon arrows, I shoot CX Hunter 300's , do I need the smaller one, or will they both work?
Old 08-25-2004, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Straight or Helical Fletchings????

I use the Arizona EZ fletch and have no problems with carbon arrows such as carbon express or goldtips, ect. I believe the one for carbons is made for the old style carbons that are less than 1/4" in diameter. As far as helical or strait fletching you are better off with helical for broadheads but with field points you won't notice a difference. You should have some helilcal or offset to stabilize the arrow BUT if you are shooting with good form and have a well tuned setup you might be ok with B'heads, best thing to do is set up a few arrows and give it a try.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave,

Does that Arizona fletcher work well if you only need to replace 1 vane? I was looking at maybe picking up one of those.

Thanks,
Jeramy
Old 08-25-2004, 08:02 AM

As long as I am asking so many questions on this topic anyways, I've got some more.

Is there a preference between right helical and left helical fletching? I think right is the most common correct?

What degree helical is recomended? I would imagine you don't want too much, because that would be more drag, correct?

Also, Maybe I am dumb, but I am just getting into this all, and I still don't understand exactly what offset is. Someone briefly explained it, but I didn't understand it completely. Could someone try to explain it to me?

Thanks!!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:57 AM

anyone?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: supaarcher

As long as I am asking so many questions on this topic anyways, I've got some more.

Is there a preference between right helical and left helical fletching? I think right is the most common correct?

What degree helical is recomended? I would imagine you don't want too much, because that would be more drag, correct?

Also, Maybe I am dumb, but I am just getting into this all, and I still don't understand exactly what offset is. Someone briefly explained it, but I didn't understand it completely. Could someone try to explain it to me?

Thanks!!
I'm far from an expert but I'll try to answer your questions based on the homework I've been doing.

As far as helical preference the most common is right helical. However you can fletch left if you wish. There is no flight difference between the two assuming you're using the same degree of helical. As far as the degree of helical that is a personal preference. I believe the average is between 2-6% helical. However if you shoot a WB or drop away rest you can get away with more helical. With more helical you'll get better arrow flight but a slower speed.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does that Arizona fletcher work well if you only need to replace 1 vane? I was looking at maybe picking up one of those.
Yes I do it all the time.

Is there a preference between right helical and left helical fletching?
I prefer right helical.

If you are shooting feathers they come in left wing and right wing so you will need the fletcher according to what wing the feather is.

On vanes it dont matter.

I still don't understand exactly what offset is.
Off set is between straight and full helical.

for those of you that have the Arizona EZ fletch, believe there are 2 different models, one is supposed to be better for carbon arrows, I shoot CX Hunter 300's , do I need the smaller one, or will they both work?
I use the standard one for Alum arrows and it works great from my Fatboys down to my skinny Axis.

I just bought an Arizona EZ Fletch and realized that it is a straight fletcher. Do you think this will be a problem when i shoot broadheads?
That depends on what broadheads you intend to shoot a lot of the fixed blade heads will tend to plane so helical will help to correct the planing.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say get the right helical fletcher. I have shot both and have found that they can provide tighter groups. Also you can sell your other jig on ebay. just a thought.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:47 PM

supaarcher,

You can get just the clamps for the AZ fletcher and go from straight to offest/helical if you want for a lot less. all you do is buy the clamps and push the metal pin out at the hinge.
As for straight vs helical, I recommend helical. Actually offset (I guess that is a little less than helical but not straight).

try this: http://www.thebowman.com/mall/carr_tooljigs.asp
Old 08-25-2004, 02:23 PM

Right helical provides extra assurance that you are gonna have tighter groups, especially with broadheads. You might as well take the advantage.

Quick Reply: Straight or Helical Fletchings????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.