Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you hunt the wind poll? >

Do you hunt the wind poll?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you hunt the wind poll?

Old 08-24-2004, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you hunt the wind poll?

I usually have good intentions at each seasons start, but I usually hunt stands that have signs of consistent deer activity. The deer seem to come from a differnt direction all the time. If I know and have seen deer on a consistent route and am going to place a new stand, sure I'll think about the wind!

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes and no. If I get up and it's too windy I'm back in bed. Most of the time the wind will calm down in the evening to nil. Then it dosen't matter. Plus the height I have to climb because the amount of deer, scent plays less of a roll. It also helps that scent doesn't matter when hunting residential.

I will always choose a tree to have the wind in my favor if I have the chance. I don't let it be the deciding factor.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:35 AM

I went from being a scent fanatic and having little luck..........and a lot of frustration[:'(] .................To hunting the wind and doing a minimal scent routine.........and having a lot of luck and fun !!

I have killed 8-9 bucks (bunch of does)with a bow in the last 6-7 years !! I have passed on several as well !! I got skunked on bucks last year though........what a bummer !!

If I wasn't hunting the wind.............what would make things successful...........a lot of LUCK that the wind was in your favor when you needed it to be !!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

My sentiments pretty much mirror CBM SC. I do hunt windy days though. I think the sheer quantity of wind disipates the scent. I maybe crazy. I used to go to bed and not hunt windy days but last year all 3 bucks that I killed were on days the wind was blowing at least 20 mph. I try to hunt the wind as much as possible but I do sometimes hunt in winds that are less than perfect.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:37 AM

I have enough stand on the two primary properties I hunt + my climber so I can hunt the wind every day I hunt by adjusting what stand or tree I'm in.

I believe you can see and often shoot deer when not hunting the wind. My younger day prove that but a mature buck is weary, whitty and cautious and if you give him a reason to think something is up he'll burn you.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-25-2004, 10:07 AM

I think hunting a stand only from a wind "YOU" think is perfect is a mistake. An Alarming # of my deer came when the wind switched or I miscalculated it and a good deer came from where it shouldn't of.

I will often hunt stands when I think the wind is DEAD wrong for it. You never know when where or how a big buck will move through the woods. they often are doing the complete oposite of what logic will tell you.

Mix it up - take a chance and trick that bugger

P.S. this info is for team 4 only[8D]
Old 08-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

always,always hunt the wind
Old 08-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to hunt the wind, but it swirls and shifts alot around here. Two of the past 5 bucks came in downwind....not to start an arguement, but Scent-Lok gets the credit!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:34 PM

I'm gonna try that this year as well.

Quick Reply: Do you hunt the wind poll?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.