Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you hunt the wind poll? >

Do you hunt the wind poll?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you hunt the wind poll?

Old 08-24-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Do you hunt the wind poll?

For the last 2 years I've been saying that I'm going to start hunting the wind and REALLY pay attenntion to it. But when the season comes, I usually end up hunting the stands that have paid off before or stands that seem to offer the best chance regardless of the wind direction. This year IS going to be different. With every potential stand location I have drawn a small map with compass in hand and wrote down what wind direction would be best to hunt it. My qusetion to you is: Do you hunt the wind faithfully and how many bucks have you taken in the last "X" amount if years? If you don't hunt the wind faithfully, what has your success been?
Good luck this year.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:24 PM

Default RE: Do you hunt the wind poll?

Deer902 you sound just like me. Every year I say that and very year I don' t do it. I also say I won't overhunt any of my areas and I do it any way. This year my new years resolution is follow my own rules to the letter
Old 08-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well you can never gurantee what way the deer will come from, but if you know your property you should be able to tell which way they should or most likely will come from. That being said if the wind is blowing the way the normally come from I will not hunt that stand.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can never 100% hunt the correct wind. My prime area has a horribly swirling wind. I have in the recent years tried to hunt it(the correct wind) when I can, but its just not possible every hunt. It could start out that way, but doesn't always stay that way. Some stands the wind behaves better than others. Last year my buck(and a doe and another buck) came from directly downwind of me. He come right to my scent I had out. I am on a pretty healthy streak of consecutive bucks, granted they all ain't wall hangers, but I still have been rather succesful in the last 10 years.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

My farm is in the mountains of WV. It is hard to figure the wind because rarely do I hunt on the very top of a mountain. On top, the wind is much more predictably than lower areas. The past 4-5 years I have been hunting oak flats just over the top with great success. My only problem has been that the wind changes every 15 minutes.

I've learned to live with it. I do all I can, and get as far up the tree as I dare.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

If at all possible I use the wind, but if the only tree to get in is upwind of a huge scrape with big rubs around it, just watch the smoke come off my climber gettin up that tree.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:40 PM

I only hunt when conditions are perfect. I typically hunt out of a climber. I do have 5 lock on stands that may only get hunted 1-2 times per year, only when conditions are perfect
Old 08-24-2004, 06:51 PM

I use scent free detergent and sometimes body wash. That is about the extent of my scent issues. It works for now and until I have the money or see the need I don't pay much attention. As for my stands I just hunt where I think the deer will be. I'll let ya'll know when this fails.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pay attention to the wind. I too use a climber and usually make my decision in the morning before heading out as to what tree I'll be in. If you hunt the mountains, you already know how difficult it can be to nail down the wind. Different air thermals carry your scent all over anyway. I keep my clothing scent free and put my outers on at the truck when I get into the woods. Take a scent free shower and use scent killer pretty hard before heading into the woods. Seems to work pretty well.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I let the wind determine what stand location I'll be hunting from that particular day.

Quick Reply: Do you hunt the wind poll?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.