Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 $100 bow at Walmart >

$100 bow at Walmart

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

$100 bow at Walmart

Old 08-24-2004, 08:37 AM

Default $100 bow at Walmart

Looking to bowhunt for the first time this yr and saw a $100 PSE bow package at Walmart last night. Dont want/cant spend $400 for a bow and I would assume any bow can take a deer. My question is can I take the course and be ready for bow hunting this year. I dont want to go out and injure a deer because of my inexpierience. So theoretically could I take the course ( nj ) and get enough pratice in to be ready this year. I am going to get a 3D deer target and pratice my a$$ off. Any necessity items that I should purchase along with the bow ?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: $100 bow at Walmart

You are correct, any bow can take a deer as long as the draw weight is sufficient and the shot is put in its place. You will need to shoot until you can't shoot anymore. I would purchase a release, it makes shooting much easier and much more precise. What else comes in the kit? Practice from different distances and from a treestand if you are going to use one. Good luck, and welcome to the best sport on this earth.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:44 AM

Well, when does your season start? What comes with the bow package? My first thought is you should probably practice and hunt next year unless you have plenty of time b4 season to practice your a$$ off.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:49 AM

comes with a sight , arrow rest & quiver. My main thing is I dont want to injure a deer because I havent practiced enough. Season starts sept 18 , but wouldnt be ready by then I would guess. I have enough time to practice at least 2-3 hrs a day.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:55 AM

just registered for the bow course on 9/19. To pass : You must be able to shoot 3 out of 5 arrows into a 12-inch target (the size of the vital zone of a deer) between 10 and 20 yards to pass this course, so practice is important before coming to this course.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

slugman,

There are many things to consider here. First, you haven’t practiced. Killing a deer with a bow requires good shot placement. Second, I won’t nock a Wally-World special, but if it isn’t setup/tuned right you might have numerous problems. Third, 3D targets are expensive. You would be better off buying a cheap block target, and spending what you save on better equipment. I saw a target for $15 in Wal-Mart the other day. It will stop a broad head easy. Will it last, doesn’t matter for you at this point, it will last long enough.

Before you buy from Wally-World, go to a shop in your area and see if they have anything used that you can afford. In that way, you will get some professional guidance and possibly better equipment. At a minimum, take whatever bow you end up with to a pro shop and get it setup properly even if it costs $25. Most of our shops around here will help you out for a lot less, looking for repeat business latter on.

As for the course, it’s mostly common sense; anybody should be able to pass it. Make SAFETY you primary issue so your still around to tell us all about the big one that got away. Make shot placement, two inches behind that front shoulder blade, you second priority, and then get the best equipment and advise you can afford.

Lastly, I assume you will be using some sort of tree stand, all I can say about that is FBH (Full Body Harness).
Old 08-24-2004, 08:58 AM

Well, you'll probably want to get yourself a release for starters and obviously arrows. IMO, a 100 dollar pse isnt the bow for you and if you can afford more, you should consider other options. If you shoot 2-3 hours/day and are confident, you may be able to hunt this year.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll chime in here - That PSE kit for $100 might be a childs bow - look at the size of the cam and see what the max draw weight is. Most states have a minimum draw weight, Illinois is 40lbs. The draw length might not be suitable for your body either on that particular bow.

Like bnhcomputing said, pro shops are full of used bows at decent prices - you should be able to find a good bow for $100-$200 there and the pro shop will probably set it up for you for free and give you a free professional shooting lesson at the same time (that is the #1 thing I could recommend.) You might even be able to shoot at his outdoor range for a limited period.

Also, I wouldn't worry about getting in on the season opener. You have plenty of time until the Rut starts to get practiced up. If you go through a good bow shop I'm confident you can have the skills in time.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:58 AM

Let's not forget how some of us get buck fever with a bow and not with a gun. ( Such as I) Just remember that you can sling a gun up and it happens in milli-seconds, but with a bow, it is patience and practice that will get you ready for that moment of truth. Good luck, and happy hunting.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: legacy22

Well, when does your season start? What comes with the bow package? My first thought is you should probably practice and hunt next year unless you have plenty of time b4 season to practice your a$$ off.
ORIGINAL: HAZCON7
I'll chime in here - That PSE kit for $100 might be a childs bow - look at the size of the cam and see what the max draw weight is. Most states have a minimum draw weight, Illinois is 40lbs. The draw length might not be suitable for your body either on that particular bow.
I did like Legacy said ,
I started last year with an eye toward going out this year . I also agree with HAZCON7 , the bows you saw were probably children's bows . I've seen plenty of affordable used bows at local proshops too , most were set up and ready to go .

Quick Reply: $100 bow at Walmart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.