Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

$100 bow at Walmart

Old 08-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: $100 bow at Walmart

I agree Rob, way uncool. At 20 Yrds, all arrows should be within a 2-3 inch group. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be hunting.

I started bow March of 2003. Never touched one before that. Guy at the shop set me up real good for about $250(bow,rest,site,arrows,release).

I was breaking knocks within two days at 20, but I couldn't hold the group together at over 30. Went to 3D shoots all last year, and this year. Shoot 3-5 times/week. So I just set a rule, wouldn't try a shot over 30 last year. Well, I only had two deer get close enough, and they both busted me before I could get the pin on them. I get what every one else here has already stated, bow hunting is a DIFFERENT sport, and very addictive.

This year, I won a PSE Firestorm Light. Spent some $$$ on better rest, site, arrows. Now I can hold a 3 inch group at 40. Practice, practice, and then practice. I feel comfortable to 40 now. I would say that practice had more to do with it than the equipment, but I was having problems with the new rest, and only the pro shop was able to help.

For new guys:

1. Go to the pro shop. Even if you spend $100 more, you will more than make that up from the knowledge that they, and their customers, have.
2. Good equipment is always a plus.
3. I shoot about 2 hours every other day.
4. I shoot sitting, standing, and kneeling at ground level, on the deck, and on the stairs of the deck.
5. I also shoot standing on one of those cheap Walmart bar stools. If you can turn around 160 degrees and still place the shot while balanced on one of those...

In the end, stick to what you know you can do. I know guys that shoot quarters an 60+ yards, but that's not me. If that deer is over 40 yards away, I try to get him in, if he don't come, I don't shoot.

The best sportsmen/hunters know their limitations and hunt within them.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:25 PM

Thanks for thhe info guys ...guess I'll open my wallet ( creak ) and spend a little more. Man are you guys giving the test for NJ a hard time ...is it too easy ? Trust me , I wont be in the woods to take a deer with a bow if I wasnt sure of my abilities. So practice then practice some more
Old 08-24-2004, 03:27 PM

The $100 PSE package has a 29" draw. I sat out last season because I wasn't confident enough.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:28 PM

Also , if need be any1 here from the south jersey area ? I might need a few tips or som1 to go to the range with as I will have no clue other than pull the string back with an arrow attached & let go.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:29 PM

The $100 PSE package has a 29" draw
yep & adjusts 3 more inches.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:30 PM

I sat out last season because I wasn't confident enough.
Wouldnt mind if I felt the same ....have shotgun & ML season too
Old 08-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

just registered for the bow course on 9/19. To pass : You must be able to shoot 3 out of 5 arrows into a 12-inch target (the size of the vital zone of a deer) between 10 and 20 yards to pass this course, so practice is important before coming to this course.
Whoa. Jersey is a home study coarse. Besides being able to hit 3 out of 5 in the kill zone you must also.

1. Sign up for an open date to take the test.
2. Obtain the Video, Home Study Work Book, and Independant Study Guide.
3. Answer all the questions in the work book correctly. You can use the video and study guide for this.
4. Go the day of the test and do a nature hike and identify certain nature sign.
5. Take the verbal test (Ie.) Name the parts of the Bow, Arrows, etc. The safety rules, Know your target and beyond. etc.
6. Then shoot the bow safely and somewhat accurately.

Good Luck to you, and the sooner you get the ball in motion, the sooner you'll be out there. Remember the season lasts threw mid Feb.

By the way , The first question in the workbook is ,
List the 11 people on the Fish and Game Council?

6------------------- Representatives
3-------------------representatives
1-------------------Representitive
and 1 Representitive from the ------------------ program.

question 2
List the 8 bureaus that make up the div..

Glad I took my test Ions ago. Don't think I could pass it now. I sure hope my Kid studied because I'm getting him from my first wife Thursday and taking him for his Shotgun coarse Sat. In the mean time he'll be hitting the books, watching the video and shooting some clays. Hopefully I'll have a new hunting partner, which would let the present wife sleep sometimes rather than out gunning me in the Pheasant fields.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:23 AM

slugman,

I have a bow that is ready to hunt all you need are the broadheads adn to site it in. the arrows are easton xx78's adn are 29 inches long from the tip of the nock to the other tip. I'm asking $170 for it and i'll ship it to you to. just email me if you are interested.
-Bear Kodiak bow 65# max draw weight
-adjustable draw lenght
-6 easton arrows
-a trufire wrist release
-a bow case
-quiver
-6 100 grain field points
-stabilizer
-new string
-HHA arrow rest
-two basic sight pins