HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Can everyone afford to shoot what they want? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/70076-can-everyone-afford-shoot-what-they-want.html)

bscofield 08-23-2004 09:42 PM

Can everyone afford to shoot what they want?

Do you shoot exactly what you want to shoot? Or is your bow, while good, imposed on you because of your finances?

I got something good for my money, that's how I feel... I'd much rather be shooting a Mathews or Hoyt but I can afford something like that right now.

What about you?

Kanga 08-23-2004 10:09 PM

RE: Can everyone afford to shoot what they want?

I shoot what I want and really dont care what the cost is but I do have a good job, own both cars and have a small mortage payment.

Now I know there are guys and gals out there that cant afford to go out and spend a bucket full of cash on a new bow each year so they buy a lesser priced one.

It makes no difference to me what the next guy or gal is shooting just as long as they are shooting it well and are happy with it.

bigbulls 08-23-2004 10:13 PM

So far I have been able to shoot the bow that I want to shoot. However I do not run out and buy the latest bow every year either. I usually keep a bow for three years or more before I buy a new one and I sell the old one to help offset the costs of a new bow. I will also always shop around for the best deal too.

I also agree with Aussie in that i do not judge another hunter/ archer by the bow that they shoot. Heck I actually made a new friend and he shoots a Mathews............ yet I still talk to him.;);)My cousin shoots one of those "M" bows too and I have not denounced his existance either. ;);)

H80Hunter 08-23-2004 10:49 PM

Ill jump in on this since I bought a new bow just recently... I guess If money wasnt an option I would look into the Bowtechs, Matthews, etc. But for my needs, a tree stand hunting bow within 35 yards, I am plenty accurate and get plenty of speed with the bow I just bought, A bear TRX

So if money was no option I probably would buy a more expensive bow, just because I could, I guess...

thenuge15 08-23-2004 10:56 PM

I am a poor high school student and I still shoot a 700 dollar bow;) I work my butt off all summer and spend every dime of it on hunting stuff! I think anybody with a job can afford the bow they want they just have to set ther financial priorities and maybe save up if need be.

RustyOlRanger4x4 08-23-2004 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: bscofield

Do you shoot exactly what you want to shoot? Or is your bow, while good, imposed on you because of your finances?

I got something good for my money, that's how I feel... I'd much rather be shooting a Mathews or Hoyt but I can afford something like that right now.

What about you?
Im the same way I have an OK bow but a nice buckmaster or something would be nice

Idaho hunter 58 08-23-2004 11:14 PM

ditto on the poor highschool student, but with a hell of a bow! lol

highcountry13 08-24-2004 12:20 AM

i have no problem using my bow its not the best out there and its 3 years old but it does the job and thats all i need i think if u can afford it and want it then buy it but if ur old bow does the job and u see no need for a new one then use the older/cheaper one.

c j 08-24-2004 12:27 AM

No, but I do it anyway. :)

pinkys79 08-24-2004 01:05 AM

I think anybody with a job can afford the bow they want they just have to set ther financial priorities and maybe save up if need be.
To this I agree if your single, no kids, no bills, no debt sure thats easy. I have a job and so does my wife but money is always an issue. Especially since we have been saving to buy a house to get out the this little pos duplex.
My first bow was used $100 my second bow I sold one of my good pistols to get, it was a Jennings somthing or other dont remeber $150 at GI Joes, loved that bow real smooth and accurate but only shot like 215 fps. Then my third and current bow I won off of a raffle at the bow shop, it is a Alpine ridge runner. Its a preatty good bow to me but I would like a little smoother bow with the same speed.

But today is my 30th Birthday and I got $155 dollars in gift certificates to the pro shop, $50 from dad and I sold another bow I had but didnt like for $125 So I just be be getting one that I get to pick out just cause I like it.

I am the same way with cars, I have never shopped for a car I just always seem to get deals at the right time that I go for. For instance I my current two trucks that I Drive one is a 79 bronco (favorite) I traded a 86 topaz for straight across, and I also coincidently have a 79 f250 that a guy said if I want it come and get it. All it needed was a steering gear box, runs like a champ. Maybe one of these days I will go out and get a super duty or new dodge or something but we will see.lol

davidmil 08-24-2004 03:21 AM

Hell no I can't shoot what I want. I'm married.[&:]

rybohunter 08-24-2004 05:42 AM

I think even if I had the money I probably couldn't part with some of the prices on bows these days. I just bought a new one this summer. I was prepared to spend more but the one I found and liked came in a bit under my alloted budget.

jamiebuck 08-24-2004 05:46 AM

NOPE I LIKE TO SHOOT A NEW HOYT!!! BUT ISHOOT WITH MY OLD GOLDEN EAGLE PREATOR, GETS THE JOB DONE BUT I DESERVE BETTER BUT I GUESS THATS WHAT GET WHEN YOU HAVE A FAMILY. MYBE NEXT YEAR THINGS WILL BE DIFFRENT BUT INTILL THEN LOOK OUT DEER IAM STILL COMING YOUR WAY:D:D:D

Lefty26 08-24-2004 06:08 AM

Thats what these cost of living raises I keep getting at work are for.....the rising cost of hunting equipment.;) I'm not wealthy by any means but I budget my money well and use whatever is left over for my hobbies, plus my wife is cool and doesnt mind me buying new toys. So I usually end up getting the stuff I want.

bearklr 08-24-2004 06:35 AM

I finally got the bow that I absolutely wanted two years ago. I was very pickey and had everything planned out ahead of time. Bowtech pro38, MZE, copper johns, beman ICS etc... To buy everything brand new it would have cost me right around $1000. I just looked around and got lucky. A tech at my local bowshop had one already set up exactly to these specs and sold it to me for $500 complete. He already had a few bowtechs and didn't shoot this one much. The only problem is that I'm dying to get a new one already.:D

silentassassin 08-24-2004 06:43 AM

No, but I do it anyway;)

ButchA 08-24-2004 06:45 AM

I got it even worse than the married guys....

I am married and have TWIN DAUGHTERS IN COLLEGE!!!!! [&:][:o] Money, what money??!? [:-]

Butch A.

Krotalus 08-24-2004 06:47 AM

With proper financial planning - yes.

of course proper financial planning usually means making sure the Mrs. gets something of equal or greater value :)

adams 08-24-2004 09:41 AM

I'm very happy with my purchase. I've shot PSE bows since I got into the sport 12 years ago and never had a problem with their bows (arrows are a diffrent story). As long as I continue to have good luck I'll probably never switch.

2003 PSE Firestorm Lite
30" 74lbs draw

JOE PA 08-24-2004 09:42 AM

I could actually have a more expensive bow than I do. My experience has been than most bows, when tuned properly, will shoot very well as long as you are shooting good quality arrows. This is a common and often repeated idea, supposedly coming from Native Americans many years ago, but I'll bet ancient European archers said about the same thing.;) I have owned some bows that generally are well respected-Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt, etc. I have found that they don't really shoot any better than other bows I have. I continue to try newer bows out of curiosity, only to be underwhelmed.

silentassassin 08-24-2004 10:06 AM

I have found that they don't really shoot any better than other bows I have. I continue to try newer bows out of curiosity, only to be underwhelmed.
Joe you know those bows will only shoot as good as the shooter:D

Texarkanimal 08-24-2004 10:19 AM

I can't afford to shoot what I would like. I would like to shoot a lion-$50,000 a cheetah 20,000 and a few other Big African game animals and I can't afford it. Oh did you mean bow?

JeramyK 08-24-2004 11:14 AM

I am thankful that I am able to shoot the bow that I want.

VaSavage270 08-24-2004 12:05 PM

LMAO, hm.. Wants!! Needs!! Make do with what you have! hm..

As I think of all these, I know I can afford whatever is on the market. However I also look for the deals etc and comparisons of them all. Being into wholesales I often find the cheapest way out but good quality more money for other things if you know what I mean.

I've read many threads Bow "M" vs Bow "P" etc., and thought wow I wonder if a deer ever thinks about what a particular hunter is shooting..lol In any case I've up graded from my Mountaineer Aggressor with a Fred Bear Pro Master with 302 F.P.S I'm happy with it! I guess I'm saying I don't keep up with the jones persay even though I can afford it. My children come first and foremost along with their education.

JOE PA 08-24-2004 04:03 PM

Krotalus, you're the man! My wife did just get a $700 decorative table that she just "needed." I guess I'm due for a new Bowtech, eh?

Actually, all 3 of my boys finally started shooting 3D with me this year, mostly 10-12 target rounds. Most of my bow shooting budget will be used to upgrade their new equipment. Best money I could spend, IMO.:D

My 9 year old went a full 30 targets with me Sunday morning. He shot a 210 with 5 X (club counts Xs instead of 12s) . Sort of made me forget about my first clean miss in 10 years. LOL[&:]

Pro-Line 08-24-2004 04:15 PM

I could afford any bow I want. That said, I still shoot my Pro-Line Force II from the mid 80's. Like I said, I shoot it well, it's safe, and I don't want to change my name on this board...:D

Actually it was a high-dollar bow when I bought it. $300 set up.

rcd567 08-24-2004 05:54 PM

I'm lucky enough to shoot what I want. My stepson wants to upgrade from his Browning to a Mathews Mustang but doesn't have the money to do that and everything else he wants.[X(] I keep telling him, a Man's got to have his priorities.

wesbowhunt 08-24-2004 06:12 PM

i cant really. if i could i probably would shoot a mathews. but as a teenager in high school, moneys on the short side. ( the ladies)

tiogahunter56 08-24-2004 07:15 PM

Same as the Nuge, But Remember nuge we don't have to pay taxes,car, and house payments either

Len in Maryland 08-24-2004 09:09 PM

To answer the question - YES. But, do I get a new bow every year - NO. Actually, I have been shooting the same bow model for the past 6-7 years. I upgrade only when I see improvements that I feel will be beneficial. For example, my new bow is slower than previous models; but, it is smoother to draw and more quiet. IMPO, those two offset the need for speed.

And, as others have stated, it's NOT the bow.

OH_RedNeck 08-25-2004 07:13 PM

Krotalus pretty much summed up my situation. I can afford my toys but then my wife tends to want something equal in value and doubles my toy fund. So, yes I have the exact bow that I want, but it cost my twice as much as it was listed for.

bubba74701 08-25-2004 08:02 PM

I bought what I wanted because I only bow hunt and took the money I would have spent on a rifle and bought my Mathews.

Hoofers 08-28-2004 08:42 AM

I could have it all if I felt like parting with the money! I'll stick with what I have. Its not about what you have its how you use it!

bownutt66 08-29-2004 12:23 AM

For some reason or another, about 2 months ago I started getting the urge to bowhunt. Seeing this come on I knew that I would be laying out quite a bit of money to start my newest little hobbie. I went to the local archery shop in the piney woods of East Texas and talked to the owner who lives in the same town as I do. I told him what I wanted to do and about how much I wanted to spend. He put me on to my new PSE pro series Triton. I can't tell you how much I enjoy this bow. I am completely happy with it and I have no wants for a bowtech, mathews, hoyt, or anything else. I have nothing against those bows, I'm just happy with what I have. It's not important for me to keep up with the "Jones". I have a wife and 4 kids to educate and as long as I'm happy with what I have then nothing else matters.

c903 08-29-2004 12:58 AM

Yes! I can afford the most expensive bow. However, after evaluating "want" with "need," and priortizing long-standing reliability, ease of tuning, and performance, I always ended up paying much less than I could afford.