Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Words cannot express my fealings... >

Words cannot express my fealings...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Words cannot express my fealings...

Old 08-23-2004, 01:33 AM

Default Words cannot express my fealings...

I had "the" hardest day of my life on saturday.

My dad and I have been talking about this ridge/draw we stumbled apon 2 years ago. We call it "Big Bull Ridge". The reason for the name being the numerous Huge rubs. Huge doesn't even come close to representing the real size of these massive rubs up the draw, and coming into the draw are many, many, huge game trails. Half way up there is a big field type thing that always has sign of fresh beds. Past the beds you start to hit a little muddy area (not a wallow).... and up in the trees past this is a great WALLOW, always the color of piss and mud, and does it ever stink of elk urine.

My dad and I decided to hike up and set my climber up over the trail between the wallow and rubs.

We washed all of our cloths in scent free soap, put it in a air tight bag, and dressed in the field, where then we put elk urine on our boots, and Autumn No-Scent on our packs/ treestand/ and cloths. We took every measure to leave no scent behind, even put on this scent blocker lotion on our skin and hair!

We decide to start on ridge over, that way we would bypass the bedding area and so we would not disturb anything.

The hike was tough and we struggled a little, but we had the image of "The" Big Bull in our minds to keep us going. Finally we started to side hill off the ridge into the draw. Once into the draw we walked about 75 yards before finding the wallow. We put some more scent cover and elk urine just in case, and started to clear some brances. I went first and after a while I got tired, So my dad told me to come down. He went up next, even though I tried my best to talk him out of it. 2 minutes later, while I was looking down I saw a blur and I was smacked down into the muddy area. My dad had simutaniously lost his hand and footing, and had pummeled down. It took me a minute to gain my bearings and look over at my dad, he was laying on his back in obvious pain. He looked at me and calmly told me that his leg was broken, but he was going to be o.k. and I needed to go get help. I didn't need any help figuring out that his leg was broken, I could tell by the sick angle it was sticking out at, just above his boot. I got the backpack and some good stout sticks and proped the leg up straight. I gave him aleve and left him some more along with water, and my pistol and ammo. I then took off my shirt and put it over him to keep him warm. (luckily I had under armour underneath.)

I then started a trek straight down the draw, paying no heed to the bedding grounds or anything in my way, honestly I didn't give a $%^&. I used white scent wicks to mark the way just in case it was dark or I had trouble, because i wasn't taking the normal trail route... I was bulling down the draw, I have never moved quicker or been more focused in my life.

Finally I reached the road and marked my point of exit. I ran down the road until I found the car. From the car I tried the cell phone, but It wouldn't get reception. So I turned on the flashers and jumped up and down waving until someone pulled over. It took 5 cars before someone pulled over. They went into the town a few miles away and first response team was there in a snap. I lead them up the trail. It took us close to 45min to and hour with the pack boards and bags. We finally reached my dad and got him on the board with a splint and some heat packs. It took us 3 hours to hike out of that d#@# draw. No doubt scaring everything for miles... but who cares, I sure didn't. I just wanted my dad out of there.

We finally got him out of there with the aid of winches and chainsaws and about 15 men. Thank god for those men. It was truly a miracle that we made it out in such good time and were able to stabilize my dads leg and keep it from getting worse.

He has been in the hospital since 12:00 a.m. sunday morning. I just left him a hour ago to get some sleep and check on the house. He had surgery a few hours ago and had some pins/screws/plates put in his lower right leg. The doctor said that fast action, and his tight hunting boot saved him. He will be off his right leg for 6 weeks. Then he will be able to walk, and hopefully in a few months get the pins out and be good as new for spring turkey/bear season [&:].

Thanks for letting me tell my story it feals good to finally write it down and get it out of my system. I don't think I have ever been more scared in my life.

Please always use a tree harness even if you are only 4 feet off the ground, and even if you have done it a million times because it only takes once.[&o]

Thank god my dad came off as well as he did, and please keep him in your prayers.

Idaho hunter
Old 08-23-2004, 01:45 AM

Default RE: Words cannot express my fealings...

Hey Idaho, Sorry to hear that awful news but I'm glad he's gonna be okay.

I'll surely keep y'all in my prayers.

TXMM
Old 08-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

We're keeping you guys in our prayers, Idaho hunter.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow sorry to hear. In our prayers
Old 08-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, what a nightmare! I'm glad to hear your father will be okay. It is a good thing you were there.

There is an element of risk in every hunt we partake in. One must take all the precautions possible in an attempt to keep things from becoming deadly when something goes wrong.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:26 AM

Idaho Hunter,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. He was very lucky to have a son like you and because of your quick and calm thinking, he is alive today. Don't worry about the deer, they will return.

I hope he recovers soon and can hunt with you again. Don't forget to get a deer for him this year.

Tom
Old 08-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

So sorry to hear about that. It is great that you were able to get help so quickly. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad your Dad is in good shape.

My Dad is 70 years old and we're going 5 miles into a wilderness area in 2 weeks. Kinda spooked because of my deal last year - but thats elk hunting. Always risks involved. Could have been much worse for ya'll had he been alone, broke different bones etc etc.

Like I said, glad to hear ya'll made it out after an accident.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:45 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

58 your dad and you are in my prayers. I hope we all learned something from your tragedy. Gods Speed Rich
Old 08-23-2004, 11:20 PM

Thanks for all your kind comments. Surgery went better than expected and he will be off it for at least 6 weeks. Hopefully he get through this time quickly, I know it is killing him to be off his feet and helpless.

once again thanks for your kindness and prayers.

Idaho

Quick Reply: Words cannot express my fealings...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.