HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Rangefinder for bowhunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/69894-rangefinder-bowhunting.html)

tealboy 08-22-2004 02:18 PM

Rangefinder for bowhunting?

Is this a popular tool among bowhunters on this board? I was thinking about buying one this year to help take the guess work out of distancing game. I borrowed a friends last year, it was a Nikon model (forget which one) that cost $199. It was an 8x20 and my experience was that the high power relative to the low objective made visibility difficult except during bright light. I definately would not buy this model but perhaps some of you can make a recommendation. I was looking at the bushnell Tropy 5x20 and it seems pretty good but before i buy, i would appreciate your comments.

JeramyK 08-22-2004 03:14 PM

RE: Rangefinder for bowhunting?

I won't step into the woods without a rangefinder unless I am hunting from a stand that I've already measured the distances for. I'm currently using a Nikon 440 but I'm going to pickup a Leica as soon as I have the $$$. The Leica 900 LRF seems to be a very popular rangefinder on these forums.

selway 08-22-2004 06:11 PM

for ground hunting i don't see a need for one.i just tap a piece of paper to my riser with a solid black lie on top with thinner lines at 20 30 40 and 50 below . for bull elk 28 to 30 inches from top of back to bottom of chest draw your bow at 20 yards and box a 30 inch box in with your first line at 20 and then go to 30 and so on.when you draw on a real elk just fit him in the top solid line and the thin line below.your doing two things at once ranging and shooting most of the time you wont have time to use a range finder when hunting on the ground.if the animals coming closer or farther away you will be ranging him all the time and still be drawing on him.
whitetail buck would be a 15 inch height . this has worked for me. as for tree stands this will not work angle of deer or elk is wrong. but if i take a tree i will pace of distace before climbing so i guess i don't need one. but they are kind of cool.

VaSavage270 08-22-2004 06:53 PM

I would say get what you can afford. Bushnell has a yardage pro out that's reasonably priced.
Bushnell® Yardage Pro® Sport™ Laser Rangefinder
In-view LCD shows target quality and distance read-out
Fully coated, Perma-Focus® 4X magnification monocular sighting
Quiet operation, auto-off
Water / shock resistant rubber-armor aluminum body
Ranges: 10-yd. minimum. 800 yds. reflective. 450 yds. to a tree, 200 yds. to a deer
1-button operation
Neck strap, carrying case
1 3/4 x 4 x 3 1/4". 7 2/5 ozs.
Uses 9V battery not bad for $154

Stump_MN_Hunter 08-22-2004 07:12 PM

In my opionion, it's one of the best purchases you can make. Especially for bowhunting and if your not so good at field judging distances like myself. You don't necessarily use it for when game is coming in though. Atleast I don't. Right when I get into a new stand I check yardage reference points. Like that stump is 24 yards.....that tree is 32 yards....that chunk of grass is 18..so on and so forth. You can even mark those points with some different color pieces of ribbon so you don't forget. When you have an animal coming in, you already know your distances and you can spend your time getting ready for the shot and not trying to figure out what distance it is. So with all that in mind, you don't need a rangefinder that has the greatest optics, works at long distances(unless you use it rifle hunting), nor works well in low light conditions. Just a run of the mill unit will work just fine and save you a little in your wallet.

Ken/WV 08-22-2004 07:13 PM

I used a buddies rangefinder last year, and needless to say, I have my own this year. Another reason this season's looking up. New camo....new rangefinder...new broadheads......:D

davidhardegree 08-22-2004 08:41 PM

This will be my first season bow hunting. When I was purchasing some arrows I asked if there was anything I should know about measuring distances from different elevations. The guy suggested an Opti-Logic Laser Rangefinder. The model he was referring to was the 120 XT Tilt Compensated. It is quiet, auto shutoff, and what you see with your eye is what you see through the view finder. This model has two modes. Mode 1 is used when on the ground and mode 2 calculates the elevation with distance.

It's a bit pricey ($299), but most all of them are. Remember, you get what you pay for.

CLOUD 9, MN 08-22-2004 08:44 PM

I paid $320 for my Nikon 400 about 3 years ago, now that unit is $200. Its works very good and if you bowhunt alot, its a great investment. Its gets used alot.

Good luck!

VaSavage270 08-22-2004 10:30 PM

Opti-Logic® 750-yd. Laser Range Finder $197.00 it's who ya know..lmao...
Man that's $100.00 more than what I pay wholesale hmm..

Yes they are priced up there, but they know hunters spend $$$$$$$ when it comes to hunting and New Items that hit the market etc. My Motto get the best you can for your pocket. Dang I even sound cheap as a wholeseller...lmao....

bubba74701 08-22-2004 10:37 PM

I use the Bushnell yardage pro 400 and would never go out without it. It's the cheaperone but draws in light well.