Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting pigs in WI... Need tips >

Bowhunting pigs in WI... Need tips

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting pigs in WI... Need tips

Old 08-21-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Bowhunting pigs in WI... Need tips

We just purchased some land in SW Wisconsin and came across a bunch of pig sign in the woods. Yes I did say Wisconsin. After scouting around some more my buddy and I came across two adult and three piglets tearing up the corn. Got within about 40 yards with wind in our favor.
Anyone have any tips on hunting these? Guess its open season on them with no limits. Supposedly a Russian bred pig brought up from the south by the DNR but they deny these claims and now the pigs are tearing everything apart. MMMMMMMM......bacon!
Does having these critters around effect deer movements and patterns?
Old 08-21-2004, 08:39 AM
nub

Default RE: Bowhunting pigs in WI... Need tips

Where in S.W. WI.? I heard we had some oinkers in WI.. I'd scout for sign and hunt their food source. They probably roam several properties. Start asking for permission from the neighbors to hunt them. Or, I could stop by and help ya. The more eyes in the woods, the better ya know.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:50 AM

Between Soldiers Grove and Boscobel. Man they make alot of noise in the corn. They never really stop moving and eating corn stalks the whole way. Also the gullys in the woods were really rutted up. Talked to a guy that lost a small 10 acre field of corn in no time.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like if you got 40 yards away from them you already know how to hunt them! You can probably bait them and sit in a treestand.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:13 AM

Down here in Texas we have no shortage of wild boar on the property. Try this little trick. Dig a hole in the ground with a post hole digger then fill that hole with loose corn and spread a few pounds of corn around it. Hang your stand wait a couple days and hunt it. Those hogs will continue to return and dig at that corn in the hole until the very last kernel is gone.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

They are probabally just feral hoggs that are making it in the wild. I know that the Wisc. DNR gets blamed for importing alot of animals that the don't. Everytime a new exotic is seen up here the DNR gets the blame, including RATTLESNAKES!!!
How far is that area from Lacross? I take a trip hunting down there every fall and bowhunting piggs would be awesom!! Suer beats buying pork to mix with my venny for bratts.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

I haven hearing about those pigs for a couple years now. I dismissed it as over imaginative hunters until I read "OPEN SEASON ON PIGS" in the 2004 regs. I would love to come up and whack some pigs this winter. I like the idea the guy gave you about the post hole digger corn hole, that would have to work. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmmm.....I lease land near Lancaster, which isn't too awfully far from Boscobel. I could come over and help ya out with that problem if you want. Although it seems like everyone else wants to help as well.

At least I know if I see any pigs roaming around this fall it's fair game to whack 'em.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:39 AM

Another guy we now got one of the pigs and it has tusks, longer hair,bigger shoulders and a smaller butt. The pigs we saw were a dark brown and one was black. Never got a full view of them cause they were working the corn rows in and out.
Not to get anyone in trouble but the friend that was with me talked to a spouse of someone that works with the DNR and that is what they said. I totally respect the DNR but they also denied bringing in turkeys about 20 years ago and now admit they did.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

The hogs are starting to be seen in many parts of the state. Call the DNR and ask them for information on pig hunting. They sent us a map of the state with areas marked on it with confirmed pig sightings. Open season on them and you can even hunt them at night, with dogs, or how ever you want. We own property in central Wisconsin and wanted to see where these pigs where at from our land.

If it where me I would be out there as much as I could trying get some bacon in the frying pan.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting pigs in WI... Need tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.