Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Taxidermy options (Bear)?  Any pics? >

Taxidermy options (Bear)? Any pics?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taxidermy options (Bear)? Any pics?

Old 08-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Taxidermy options (Bear)? Any pics?

Well we're going bear hunting in Ontarion in Sept.. and we hope to bring back 3 bears if everything goes right.

I've done a little checking into costs of having a rug made.. and shoulder mounts... The rugs run anywhere from $550 to $800 or so.. and the shoulder mounts run anywhere from $225-400. Do these prices sound about right? I know you get what you pay for.. but I was a bit in shock when the 1st 4 people I called wanted $800 or so for a rug depending on length.

I'd planned on having a rug made.. and having the skull done also (might even bronze it)..

What have you guys had done... and what were you the most happy with?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:27 PM

Default RE: Taxidermy options (Bear)? Any pics?

The shoulder mounts sound about the right price, but $800 for a rug sounds a bit high.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I have heard about 100 dollars a foot for the rugs.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:46 PM

The average prive per square foot for a rug here is $160.00. That's one of the reasons I gave up on the bear I was after, I couldn't have afforded to have the meat processed AND have the rug done.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

The rugs around here are $850.00 flat rate.Shoulder mounts are $450.00. I strongly suggest if you go with the mount, to get a 1/2 mount or 3/4 mount. Shoulder mounts to me look odd because bears don't have much of a neck, it looks more like a head mount.(IMO) 3/4 mounts go for around $800.00. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2004, 07:01 AM

I had the hide fleshed by a Taxidermiest & I tanned it myself and it hangs on the wall.. It coasted me about $200 for everything
Old 08-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Mysticuido.. what about the form for the head and all that good stuff?

I just don't understand why it's $80 to do a deer hide.. and $800 to do a bear...

If I do the mount... it will prolly be a 1/2 or 3/4 mount.. gotta get some looks at a few to decide what I want to have done.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:35 AM

PRICES ARE DIFFRENT ALL AROUND THE U.S. AGUY AROUND ME GETS $135.A FT, FOR RUGS, SHOULDER MOUNTS CLOSE MOUTH$320. O/M $365. 1/2 BEAR MOUNT$500. AND A FULL BODY MOUNTS RUNS $200. FT. HOPE THIS INFO HELPS YOU OUT GOOD LUCK
Old 08-21-2004, 02:43 PM

I went to Alaska two years ago, and we took two bears, mine was made into a rug at 100 bucks a foot, came to 700 dollars, and 100 dollars for the skull cleaning and bleaching. my best friend is the taxidermist who did it for me and he said the high cost is for the tailor he had to sew the rug backing and felt to the tanned hide, its very thick and has to be hand sewn and took the tailor about 4 months to do just this, I love it but it takes up an entire wall in my game room. My fasther in law had a shoulder mount done because of some bad rubs, and he paid 400 for the shoulder mount, it looks nice too and dont take up as much room but the rug looks nicer. Its up to you in what you can afford and have room for, your prices seem fine just make sure the taxidermist does guality work before having it done there, especially make sure it gets a professsional tan job and not just dry preservative. Good luck an the hunt.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fortmans in western Ohio has done 3 of my bears. They're absolutely incredible. Their price is $79/foot + $100 for skinning the head/feet for a rug. I killed a small boar that I had full mounted. It was $950, and everybody that sees it says that it is as good a mount that they've ever seen. These folks do over 500 rugs on a good year. They're a tannery, so nothing ever leaves their shop.

The best thing is their speed. Four MONTHS is the longest I have ever waited for anything there. My life-size mount was done in 3.

NO, I don't work there. BUT I do drive across the entire state of Ohio to take things there. They are a class act.

Here's the website for you to do some comparison.

http://www.bright.net/~fortman/