Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you use for practice with broadheads? >

What do you use for practice with broadheads?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you use for practice with broadheads?

Old 08-20-2004, 12:13 PM

Default What do you use for practice with broadheads?

I recently bought some Montec Tekan expandables, and some Montec G5's to see which I liked better.
I fired 3 of each then went to retrieve them. I have a foam stuffed block target from Academy. The G5's went completely through. One Tekan went completly through, and both the expandable blades were missing. Two were still in the block, one with both blades still attached, one with only one blade still attached. Needled to say I wasn't too happy after only shooting them one time, and 2 of the 3 heads were already unusable. I didn't shoot the G5's anymore after that because I was so irritated. Just wondering what others use for target practice w broadheads.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:29 PM

Default RE: What do you use for practice with broadheads?

I shoot muzzy that came with "practice blades" which are different then the "hunting blades" I just shoot with my "hunting blades" because I want to be sure of my arrow flight. A set of replacement blades is cheap enough.

It sucks to hear about the Tekan heads. Just just plain sucks[:'(]
Old 08-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

I normally buy two sets of heads. Right now I am using the G5 montecs too. I bought the first set for practice so I shoot those three until its time to go live. Then I bust the new ones loose come October 2. I gave up on mechanicals last year. I like the idea but lack penetration when hog hunting. With the block try using some ratchet straps to tighten the bands on the block. Thats what I had to do with the montecs. The first time I shot them into my 3d they went right through it ruining my quickspin fletchings. It was bitter sweet, I was glad to know that my rig would do that, then at the same time to ruin those fletchings sucked.
txag
Old 08-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use my block target and works great doesnt hurt the muzzys at all but dulls the blades after awhile thats why i just buy replacement blades its alot cheaper than just buying all new broadheads.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:40 PM

Muzzy's at a bag target. Never had a passthrough yet.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:45 PM
AK

Foam broadhead practice targets, old 3-D targets, sand mounds, soft earth mounds, groundhogs, etc...
Old 08-20-2004, 07:20 PM

block target...buy a new pack of muzzys ery year
Old 08-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy 2 packs of heads, tune the heck outta my bow, and only need to shoot my hunting broadheads once each, and quickly resharpen them.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:00 PM

I shoot muzzy's and love em. I just put the practice blades that come with them in and shoot them. If you prefer to shoot the real blades you can always buy replacement blades for your muzzy's when they dull.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the cheap economy foam targets backed up with hay bales that are covered by thick rubber mat.

Quick Reply: What do you use for practice with broadheads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.