Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how do I find my arrows?? >

how do I find my arrows??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how do I find my arrows??

Old 08-18-2004, 01:40 PM

Default how do I find my arrows??

I went to the range the other day. I missed the target and the arrow disappeared into the ground. I ended up looking for 20 minutes for the missing arrow. I figured that I need to shoot another one into the same area. End result, I lost 2 arrows.

Q #1 is there any way to find these arrows, I assume they are just under the grass. The ground was sloped, so they could have gone a long way!!

Q #2 How do I prevent losing arrows in the future (besides not missing the target [:-] )

Steve
Old 08-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how do I find my arrows??

I use a metal detector.It works great.I'm sure one of the cheap ones would even work for arrows.
Good Luck
Elkshed
Old 08-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing a metal detector will hit is the inster/point, so you'll have to go slow.

Here's a tip....Take your shoes and socks off and walk around where you figger they are. If they are burried (which they probably are) you'll be 10X more likely to feel them bare-footed than with shoes on. DISCLAIMERL: DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE SHOOTING BROADHEADS! LOL
Old 08-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you know someone with a metal detector you could try that. That is if you were using steel field points. As for not loosing them again I think the only answer is hit the target.

I missed with one last night but I found it. I was thinking about deerslayer_37's hand getting hit when the arrow broke.[:'(] Thanks deerslayer_37.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:08 PM

Walking barefoot is a great tip to help find them. As for not loosing them in the first place, Don't shoot toward tall grass. Where I shoot I have 20-30 yards of mowed lawn behind the target. If the grass isn't knee high it shouldn't be too hard to find.

One other thing that may work if the ground is wet is to stretch out your finger tips and push them into the ground. If you were shooting North to South work your fingers in an East West direction. It is time consuming but should result in found arrows.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:14 PM

I like to use bright nocks and vanes that will stand out if exposed at all.

If your arrow is completely buried a lot of times you can see a faint trail left in the grass or in the soil. I have followed an arrow over ten feet in the bermuda in my yard. If you hit hard ground at an oblique angle, your arrow can travel quite a distance.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Put something behind your target. Hay would work!

Jay
Old 08-18-2004, 03:45 PM

well if all else fails take another arrow or something metal and run it through the grass perpindicular to which way the arrow flew and when you hit something metal you know its your arrow or somebody elses arrow.....also if you arent shooting broadheads then that idea about taking off your shoes wuold prob. work.....

shootr
Old 08-18-2004, 04:03 PM

I use a metal detector.unless you are using a carbon arrow the metal detector will pick up the entire arrow.Not sure what some folks are saying here about it will only pick up the tip or insert but if you have ever metal detected for old coins you have undoubtly found plenty of old aluminum pull tabs or soda/beer cans.....
Old 08-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: how do I find my arrows??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.