HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   can you shoot a doe that has a yearling with her? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/69489-can-you-shoot-doe-has-yearling-her.html)

daystalker 08-18-2004 09:55 AM

can you shoot a doe that has a yearling with her?

OK i have been hunting for a while and i have never shot a doe that had a yearling with her. a friend of mine was going through scenarios and asked me if the yearling woudl be fine if you took the adult doe. what is teh answer to that i assume that they have had enough training throughout that last year that it would be ok and survive fine... just a simple one for you veterans out there. we are hunting an area that the owner wants to clear out SOME of the does on the property so he wants us to take more does this year... will the yearlings be ok?

Tazman 08-18-2004 09:57 AM

RE: can you shoot a doe that has a yearling with her?

Once the spots are gone they are fine without momma, don't worry about it.

daystalker 08-18-2004 10:07 AM

thanks Tazman, i was always iffy about it... i always let those does pass even though they always seemed bigger. but now im glad i know.

GaHunter19 08-18-2004 10:09 AM

I agree w/ Tazman, once the spots are gone they are fine. I have even seen some cases where another doe will adopt orphan fawns and yearlings.

adams 08-18-2004 10:15 AM

Not only is it ok but it may be beneficial to you. I read a study that said button bucks whos' mothers are killed generally do not leave the aera as they normally would when they seperate from mom. If a button is with mom and you arrow her the button will likely make that aera his home range. If I can find the article I'll post the link.

Buck Magnet 08-18-2004 10:23 AM

Yep, I have shot several doe with yearling "fawns" with them. After 3 months, a fawn can survive entirely on its own, and the fawns are usually around 5-6 months old by the time archery season opens!

daystalker 08-18-2004 10:26 AM

AWESOME adams that woudl be a great read.

thanks again to all of you who have answered.

Tazman, GaHunter19, adams, and Buck Magnet. i will deffinatly start tagging some more of them when i see em.:D

thenuge15 08-18-2004 10:42 AM

Adams, The mom usually runs the button buck off so it doesn't inbread with the other does. If the mom doesn't run it off you may end up with some messed up deer!;)

Buckslayer1 08-18-2004 11:07 AM

I pass on does in bow season -Does bring in bucks during the rut. Gun season and late muzzleloader I'll take 1 doe.

rochelle 08-18-2004 11:14 AM

I shoot does with fawns all the time. The fawns are big enough to take care of themselves come october. Also if you want big bucks to shoot you got to kill does.