Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunt from a ground blind? >

Bowhunt from a ground blind?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunt from a ground blind?

Old 08-18-2004, 01:11 PM

Default RE: Bowhunt from a ground blind?

after the hunt, don't forget to take some meat to the farmer. Most people like the slim jims if nothing else.

that will go a long way to being welcomed back. Maybe next year approach him about using a ladder stand that will not hurt a tree.

good luck

Steve
Old 08-18-2004, 01:50 PM

I've got over 400 acres, and never turn anybody down except during gun season. Hell, they don't ask ...They just start hunting. That's about to change. Trash, poaching, not obeying simple rules and stolen stands have me at my wits end.
Unfortunately this is all to common[:'(]

I've hunted from the ground in the past and found it extremely difficult. I've only killed one deer from the ground with my bow and it was from a natural blind constructed by a blow down and a big oak behind me. I got busted on the draw but the little guy just stood there and stomped his foot at me. It wasn't a bad idea had I been rabid racoon, neadless to say I stuck both lungs and he piled up within 60 yards. It's tough but can be done. One other note, practice shooting sitting down as it is often impossible to stand without blowing your cover. The deer mentioned above was shot while I was sitting and I still got busted.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

There’s a wonderful view from above, I like ground blinds and as mentioned Wind is a Key Factor! So this year I’ve bought myself a doghouse Blind with windows on all four sides, lol I still have to utilize scent control. I do however use my climber if I'm busted a few times..lol something about being elevated gives one some advantages in my opinion.

Now to the matter at hand, rule of thumb if the landowner has giving consent I strongly suggest you adhere to all stipulations thereof! Be fortunate you have access to private land many do not and most abuse the privileges and therefore are not welcomed back. Be smart!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been using the Ameristep Doghouse, Doghouse TSC, Penthouse and Hunters View Waterfowl blind over the last two seasons. I have had two occasions where I was fortunate enough to take some deer out of those blinds. Location is the key to using them in my opinion. Try to find a spot where they blend into the natural terrain.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget to seek out some high ground on the property.

I have a couple STEEP ridges that have trails skirting them. Sitting tight against a big tree on a steep ridge with a deer underneath you is real similar to sitting 25' up a tree.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:15 PM

The double bull blinds are awesome work on almost everything. Set them up in the open where deer can see them from a ways off. If you surprise a deer with them its like some one putting a different woman in your kitchen it just jumps out at you. make sure you have mesh screens in place and arrows w/ broadheads taht will fly out the screen. If you feel a breeze the deer can wind you, but bout 80% of your sent will be left in the blind. The double bull blinds are expensive around $400. but the fabric, fabric stretch, set up and take down, plus the mechinisms in them make them supperior to any other blind on the market. I sell archery gear for a living. I feel sorry for anyone who tries to go the cheap way and doesnt buy a double bull. The guys from double bull are also putting together a situational video to help show when and how to use the blinds. With this added knowledge anyone can be deadly with one of these.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:24 PM

ky this is a very important time for you and the land owner be carefull dont do anything that might mess up next year he might even tell a few friends how ethical you are that means more hunting ground some of the best hunting in ohio is all locked up farmers just dont let you hunt anymore unless they know you green county is probly some of the best hunting in ohio the beaty buck and the number 2 buck came from there there is no public hunting there you have to know a farmer to get in
Old 08-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

well you could just stand next to a big tree. thats what i do and have alot of success.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

Last year I was pattering some deer coming out of a bedding area to feed late in the season. I did not want to hang a stand in case of scaring them out. There was only two days left, so when I went into the spot I wanted to hunt, I just trimmed a few branches underneath a big cedar and sat back into the tree. I piled the limbs in front of me. It not only hid me very well, but it also masked my scent too. It all worked perfect, a P&Y deer walked within 25 yds, I drew without detection, let her fly, but to only see my arrow fly about 1-2 inches over his back. It was a heartbreak, and it wasn't anyone or anythings fault but my own, just got shook up a lil too much. I think a lot of us have been in that boat before. It is a little different hunting a deer at 10-30 yards at eye level, than it is from the stand. Good luck, hope it works out for you.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Im building a ground blind out of some hay bails. Ill post a pic when I get it done. The spot I am putting it doesnt have any trees that will allow a stand and it will look over a clearing in a patch of woods. The backing will be where 2 bushes are around a thick tree stump.

Quick Reply: Bowhunt from a ground blind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.