Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What to do after you get your bow soaked... >

What to do after you get your bow soaked...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:15 PM

Default What to do after you get your bow soaked...

So I was supposed to get in a hog hunt Sunday afternoon as a final prep for opening day of archery season (9/11 here in GA). I was down in far NE FL in northern Nassau County on my brother's lease (Rayonier timberland called the McQueen Swamp, as I recall). So we get to the stand around 530p (hogs have been showing up around feeder around 710-725p). Hang another stand slightly above and to the right of the first one so my brother can videotape my hunt. He's torn his rotator cuff and can't draw a bow (and will very likely be videotaping my opening day deer hunt as well). We get the second stand hung, get comfortably perched in the tree (about 25' up), and I decide to try a Rocket expandable instead of our standard Muzzy 3-blades. I get my bow hung up, and we start whispering about how the Thermacell is really starting to work. Then the sky fell. Had to be raining 3"+ per hour. Luckily I had stashed a poncho in a side pocket but my bro had nothing. I tried to cover me and the camera and we both got wet. We were going to sit it out (we were already soaked to the bone at this point) and lightening struck nearby. I don't mind a little rain, but lightnin' has to be dealt with gingerly. We were out of the tree in about 5 seconds and headed back to camp. I dried my bow off as quickly and thoroughly as possible. There was some sand on the bow as well. Now what to do? My bow seems to be no worse for the wear...

Thoughts? Ideas? I'm flingin' arrows so well right now (errr, just prior to the soaking) that I'm reticent to monkey with much.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to do after you get your bow soaked...

This is why you should wax your bow...er, string!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Well you always should do the preventive maintenance such as waxing etc. If I get my bow wet I just go home and shoot it a few times to shake out the water. Then I take one of those cans of air and blow out every nook and cranny. Then I lube what needs to be lubed with syloclone spray, wipe off the dribbles, blow out the cracks with the air again, shoot it, wipe it down again.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:05 PM

I wax my string, hand dry a good as possible, then spray all the metal parts down with WD40. Seems to be doing alright for me.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:11 PM

If you were a target archer pobilably run away the rain will melt my bow....
But for the rest of us have to agree with the top replies ... Cause I don't come in when its rain or drop it the swamp....
good luck
Old 08-18-2004, 01:03 AM

Compressed air is a good idea. I'll have to use that this year. I usually dry as much as I can with a towel, then use a hair dryer to dry out the limb pockets and anywhere else the towel doesn't get to. Then try to leave the bow in front of a heat register, woods stove, etc to dry it even more. When you have a wet bow, get it out of the case as soon as possible, and make sure your case is dry before using it again.

peashooter
Old 08-18-2004, 01:13 AM

tumble dry, delicate setting and DO NOT IRON!! [8D]

no seriously, just what evrbody else said, keep what needs oiled oiled and what need waxed waxed.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peashooter

then use a hair dryer to dry out the limb pockets and anywhere else the towel doesn't get to. Then try to leave the bow in front of a heat register, woods stove, etc to dry it even more.

Leave it in front of the air conditioner. it will dry it faster without the damaging effects of heat.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jasonthehunted

tumble dry, delicate setting and DO NOT IRON!! [8D]

I always thought it was a cool iron?!?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

I wipe off the blood.

Quick Reply: What to do after you get your bow soaked...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.