Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WHEN TO DRAWBACK??? >

WHEN TO DRAWBACK???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHEN TO DRAWBACK???

Old 08-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WHEN TO DRAWBACK???

Well they are all very good answers, The time to draw on an animal is never an easy thing to figure out, you draw to early, you end up holding at full draw to long and you get unsteady, ending up with a poor shot. You draw to late, and and you get busted, I think the best answer to this never ending question is, you will just know when to draw when you know! If that makes sense? But then again if hunting made sense it would be easy! Just my two cents!
Old 08-18-2004, 03:38 PM
kec

i generally draw back when the animal has walked by me-offering a quartering away shot. Being that the animal has already passed, it is more difficult for them to catch you. Otherwise, I like to draw while they are in motion (walkin) or when their head passes an object between myself and the animal. If I have one coming straight at me - I won't draw back. Also - don't look em in the eyes....lol

just how I handle it

KEC
Old 08-18-2004, 06:25 PM
Dominant Buck

WHen it's time.

Not being a smart--- or anything, but each one is different. There are too many variables, like other deer, vegetation etc. You just got to draw when it's time. The trick is releasing when it's time.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:43 PM

It depends on how many eyes are watching you. If only one deer is coming your way, I tend to plan my draw when he/she is walking behind a tree or heavy cover or when their head is down or looking back. If more than one deer is present, I judge all the deer to determine how skitish they are and estimate when all/most are not watching in my direction.

I'm usually comfortable holding my draw for up to 45-60 seconds if needed. I actually practice this late summer just before opeing day. Heck, it's late summer and I should incorporate this into my training this weekend. Only 3 weeks to go!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

i will wait for more cover, the wind to pick up, especially in early season, other ground noises to distract the deer. the more variables the harder it is to descide when is teh IDEAL time to draw. but TRUST me you will have a GUT feeling when its TIME always trust that gut feeling. its gonna be correct 90% of the time. just always practice holding draw as long as you can so that you body gets used to the long hold situations. i will not take a shot after 3 minutes at full draw. im comfortable up till 4 minutes but still i have been working on conditioning my body for years for this season.

good luck
Old 08-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

This something you must learn on your own, through thick and thin
Old 08-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like to draw back when the deer walks behind something or looks completely in the opposite direction of me. i prefer the deer to be at least even to me or a little beyond me so i have a better lung shot, quatering away a little if possible.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:33 PM

Good answers, its tough to answer this one. Ultimately it will come down to when you 'can'. Whenever you think there will be an opportunity within range, angle is good for shot, and when you figure your not gonna get busted. Sometimes you have to risk getting busted and if the animal only catches a slight bit of movement?, then its sometimes enough they will stop and voila...the arrow flies. If they are bareing straight down on you you may have to draw on purpose to get him to turn...or if nothing else in hopes he'll give you a shot while he's figurin it out...talk to him if he bolts and see if he stops to look back etc. It will never be the same twice, you just have to feel when you can, when you should and should not. I'd sooner draw on something coming straight in and hope they will have that bit of confusion and give me that split second chance...rather than let him walk right on top of me and not being ready when he bolts anyhow.

You'll be fine. Just watch the animal and you should be able to figure it out...i doubt anyone is a pro their first time out...its more something you will learn...think about it lots will be a good start.

B
Old 08-19-2004, 04:04 PM

Each animal is different and situations vary on each possible draw. My rule of thumb is to carefully observe the animals movements. Watch what their head is doing, regarding movement. Like humans their bodies follows what the head is telling them to do. Watch for an upturned head with nose seeking it's possible dangers. Watch their ears closely. Upright ears tend to tend to exhibit a cautionary pose, straight back ears mean they are ready to bolt, downturned ears are a sign of relaxation. When a head drops this also is a relaxed pose. Head turns with upright ears, another alert, sensing mode. While I observe I always wait for a relaxed head mode before I draw. It's just me but I want a relaxed unsuspecting animal to receive my arrow. I have just learned over the years that too many animals are missed completley or worse maimed by errant shots. Most of us spend many hours looking for our game. I urge all to be patient, for that ethical shot you will be so proud to have accomplished. Those few extra moments or even minutes will save you many a nighmare over missed, wounding shots and the despair of lost game. We do owe it to them and ourselves.