Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WHEN TO DRAWBACK??? >

WHEN TO DRAWBACK???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHEN TO DRAWBACK???

Old 08-17-2004, 11:58 AM

Default WHEN TO DRAWBACK???

The big delema for me is when to draw back on the animal??? i am primarily a ground hunter for elk and mule deer.
so when is the best time??? early or late????? what if the animal is so close that any movement bust's you??? do you draw quick and shoot!!! im sure you have all had this thought before so let me hear it!!!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHEN TO DRAWBACK???

Hmm, this is a tough one to respond to since there can be so many variables that can factor into the equation. Personally I prefer to draw back early because I may not get a better chance.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

im going to say when the animal is about to get into your shooting lane or an opening where you want to shoot, or when they are looking away just to be safe, but like JeramyK said its a hard question to answer.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always let the animal dictate when I draw back. If the animal is relaxed and doesn't know that I'm there I let him get as close as possible before I draw. But if the animal seems to be on edge or suspects something is up I'll draw as soon as a shot prevelant so not to be detected.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is no way to describe when to draw, sometimes its easy to figure out sometimes its not. I feel this is one of the things that seperates the skill level of hunters, because it cannot be taught very well.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:14 PM

OH, If only I knew. Apparently I need to do it sooner, because I haven't got the draw on them yet.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:25 PM

For Elk it's always a tough call. but they are VERY stupid animals and I would bet that they are nearly blind. I will draw when the shot is within 90 sec. I draw straight back and belive me you will have the gusto to do it if you practice. Be ready to release as soon as you see the hair that you want to hit.

Keep your call in your mouth and give a soft mew AS you shoot- If you wait until after you mew he may bolt- as he realizes that you are right on top of him.

Deer ? Your guess is as good as mine. They seem to have much better vision and I've never bow hunted them.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gutshot

I always let the animal dictate when I draw back. If the animal is relaxed and doesn't know that I'm there I let him get as close as possible before I draw. But if the animal seems to be on edge or suspects something is up I'll draw as soon as a shot prevelant so not to be detected.
This method is the one I use as well. We all hope for a relaxed, unsuspecting animal. In most cases, I'll wait as long as practical, taking into consideation these factors;

1) Any sound my clothes may make during the draw. Especially in cold weather.
2) The bucks approach to my shooting lane and his general body language.
3) Terrian issues that predict how much time I have to effect the shot.
4) Shot angles that could change if given too much time after the draw.
5) Any natural cover that will conceal the bucks eyes as I draw my bow.
6) How high I was positioned, if I was tree stand hunting.

If the animal is hyper, I'll try to give him time to relax. Otherwise, I'll let him walk if the circumstances spell an unethical shot at a spooked deer. I have harvested a few bucks on the edge of knowing something was up... but these situations have a case by case set of rules to draw and shoot by. Each one can differ greatly, which makes it super hard to give a definitive answer to your question. I would error on the side of not sending an arrow if I was the least bit sure of making a humane harvest.

That reminds me... I shot a nice 8 pointer that I drew on when he was almost at ground zero... he was preoccupied with another buck who showed up at the same time. He missed me drawing back and looked up at the release, millaseconds from the arrow zipping through both lungs. Recovery was 35 yards. He was relaxed, coming in to see the smaller buck or I would never have attempted that shot. I believe he would have busted me otherwise. If he's REALLY on edge & acting skittish, simply don't shoot.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simply put fella.............know when to draw is a skill that every hunter at one point will master if he/she keeps hunting in there life time. You can come up with every reasonable time when to or not, but we all know even the best times to draw, may be the worst time..........this is just something you have to feel out as you grow to be a better hunter.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:54 PM

Good question. I hunt White Tails in Indiana. The woods are thick with large trees. I normally wait to draw until the deer looks away or walks in back of a a tree. I don't like to hold at draw for more then a minute, so I let them get close enough to shot before drawing back.
The question and the answers are all great.

Quick Reply: WHEN TO DRAWBACK???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.